back to article Google goes Dutch with new €600 MEELLION DC

Google is to splash the cash in The Netherlands to build a new €600 million (more than $US770 million) data centre behind the dike. To be located in Eemshaven, the Chocolate Factory attributes the choice of location to the stability of Dutch energy supplies, according to Reuters. Google already operates DCs in Ireland, …

1. Tzhx

If I spend nearly a billion dollars in your country, you'll help me with these pesky EU beancounters, yes?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That's exactly it. €600M says "you're my beatch" to any politician, they have serious tax benefits (as the Netherlands have been party to quite a few interesting structures, which is why, for instance, IKEA has a Holding there too), they are near primary power generators AND they are close to the transatlantic cable they need to ship all that stolen EU data to the US (not on top, but near enough that running a couple trenches with dark fibre won't pose too much of an expense).

Quite an impressive feat. I'm positive that the concentration of men in dark suits will rise considerably in that part of the country over the next few months. You better start locking down everything, NSA v2 is on its way.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"If I spend nearly a billion dollars in your country, you'll help me with these pesky EU beancounters, yes?"

No. A more likely explanation is that Dutch law is quite relaxed on what constitutes a charity.. I seem to recall that Ikea's worldwide business is a charity under Dutch rules:

http://www.economist.com/node/6919139

2. frank ly

Grey water?

'Grey water' is waste from baths, showers, basins, etc. Why don't they just use the sea, since Emmshaven is a port city (adjacent to the cold North Sea).

1. dotdavid

Re: Grey water?

I'm guessing salty seawater is somewhat more corrosive.

1. frank ly

There are things called heat exchangers and protective coatings. Great big steel ships seem to last a long time at sea for some reason. Grey water contains contaminants and pathogens and the supply may not be constant and thus require holding ponds. Is there even an existing supply of grey water available at Eemshaven?

1. Captain DaFt

"Great big steel ships seem to last a long time at sea for some reason."

Great, horkin' bars of zinc or magnesium bolted to the hull. They're called 'sacrificial anodes'.

Without them, a ship'd be a pile of rusty goo within a decade.

(And probably sink before that.)

http://www.gcsescience.com/ex34.htm

3. foo_bar_baz
    Coat

Schtop!

This datacenter is not ready yet!

4. wikkity

Real reason

While the "stability of Dutch energy supplies" and "direct connections" may be factors, I'm sure the Irish/Dutch Sandwich is the most important factor at play here.

5. Grandma Funk

TAT-14

...lands in, in Katwijk, which is about as far from Eemshaven as you can get before you hit Belgium.

So not exactly "nearby", even in the vastness that is the Netherlands.

6. Alister

Sho, do you want a Pipe and a crepe? No?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like