back to article First day of Hurd'n'Catz at Oracle: It's dis-fur-pointing for Wall St

Oracle posted results that missed analysts' expectations yet again on Thursday, in a Q1 2015 earnings report that was all but overshadowed by the unexpected news that Larry Ellison has stepped down as CEO. Revenues for the quarter were $8.60bn, a scant 2.68 per cent gain over the same period a year ago and below even the …

1. Mark 85

Growth is the problem then?

But revenues from new software licenses – perhaps a more telling figure – were $1.37bn, down 2.07 per cent from last year's quarter.

If the market is saturated for Oracles product, how can it grow?

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Trollface

Not a problem. I hear beer is up!

Newsflash To Fed: 122 Billion Bottles Of Beer On The Wall Is About Asset Bubbles, Not Jobs

The item in question is a $122 billion globally syndicated loan to facilitate an Mergers & Acquisition deal between the world’s two largest beer companies—AB InBev with a 20% global market share and SABMiller with 10%. Needless to say, the only possible reason for creating a monstrosity with $60 billion in sales spread among scores of highly differentiated regional and national beer markets is the “synergy” euphemism—-that is, the “savings” from thousands of job terminations especially in those two paragons of job growth known as North America and Europe.

In fact, at the rumored $122 billion, the loan now brewing would amount to 6.5X free cash flow. In a no-growth business in a world where interest rates must eventually normalize–that is sheer lunacy. But it well explains why our monetary politburo is so reluctant to let interest rates normalize and is so deathly afraid of a Wall Street hissy fit.

None of this would happen in a world with honest interest rates and stable two-way capital markets for the simple reason that the financing could not be raised; boards and CEOs would have no momentum driven stock market inducing them to engage in patently irrational mergers; and, in any event, short sellers would swiftly punish serial roll-up machines that destroy rather than create sustainable economic value.

1. fandom

Re: Not a problem. I hear beer is up!

Yes, yes, yes, we know:

Gold is hitting 5000$ next year

(It's always next year)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not a problem. I hear beer is up!

You'll be telling us next that Wall Street is a pump and dump operation and the job of analysts is to pump and dump stocks on a cycle that suits bank traders. A fine tinfoil hat conspiracy theory.

And then some Marxist will come along and suggest that perhaps companies might be better run if their share prices were not so exposed to the vagaries of the stock market, because perhaps the opinions of a load of traders and analysts who have never delivered a product or service in their lives might be less reliable than the views of people who have. Though, to be fair, "private equity companies" seems to be a euphemism for "pirates who loot everything while nobody is looking". So there is that argument.

3. chuckufarley Silver badge

I wonder if...

...they are struggling because businesses are tired of the technological lock-ins that come with traditional hardware, software, and service agreements.

1. Amorous Cowherder
      Facepalm

Re: I wonder if...

I wouldn't worry about that, there's a never ending supply of dopey middle managers who know sweet FA about "best of breed" and can only equate tech with Microsoft on the desktop, Oracle or Microsoft in the server room and Apple in the hand!

4. P. Lee

Schumpeterian Creative Destruction

The Demonstration.

5. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Analysts 1, Reality 0

Whenever I read articles like this there seems to be an implication that the analysts called it right & reality got it wrong. It couldn't possibly be that the analysts got it wrong, could it? After all, they don't ever fail to see what's coming.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"several sequential quarters"

There's your problem right there. Oracle is a relational database, you don't measure its performance by just indexing on an autoincrement primary key.

I'm sure there's a sort of the Oracle results that makes this the most impressive quarter ever.

7. Peter Simpson 1
    Happy

Hrd'n'Catz

Brilliant!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hurd = Slash & Burn

Title says it all. Hurd is only fixated on delivering Wall St the numbers he promised.

If the numbers aren't right he'll slash staff and reduce salaries to meet the numbers.

1. Peter Simpson 1
      Unhappy

Re: Hurd = Slash & Burn

Ahhh..."maximizing shareholder value"...I know it well. When the company exec starts saying that, it's time to polish the resume.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like