back to article Sweden orders TWO PETAFLOP supercomputer

Sweden's KTH (Royal Institute of Technology) is continuing its Cray fandom, placing a US$13 million order for an XC super and taking the institute into the petascale era. Cray first got its foot in the door at KTH in 2010, with a 93 teraflop-rated XT6m midrange system. The XT6m was replaced with a 305 TF XE6, which went in …

1. chuckufarley Silver badge

I wonder if...

...they would take $19.99 for the old one?

1. phil dude
      Joke

Re: I wonder if...

the power bill to use it will probably measure at least 2.6MKs*

P.

**A new unit - how much energy used by everyone in Milton Keynes turn their kettle on when they get home.

2. Brian Miller

Why bother with "Fantasy Supercomputer League" anymore

Once upon a time I'd look at the list and think to myself, "Gee, how much would it take for me to get my bedroom on the list?" Now, with the smallest configuration using over 2,700 cores, there's no longer any way this could happen. Any configuration worthy of #500 on the list these days would take more power than the whole house's mains circuit. Back in 2005 a system with 50 cores could score well. Not anymore! I'd need about 100 NVIDIA K-40 cards to get to #500.

3. John Hughes

Fluid dynamics, eh?

So Sweden wants an H bomb.

4. John Savard

Future Tense

They're ordering a new machine that is expected to be in full service by January 2015? As this happens to be November 2015, I take it that either Cray uses time machines to deliver its supercomputers, in which case they're being seriously unimaginative as to their potential applications, or this was a misprint for January 2016.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like