back to article HP gulps cloud upstart Eucalyptus, says Helion is all-in for ... OpenStack

HP has acquired open-source hybrid cloud software maker Eucalyptus, in a surprise move to bolster its Helion cloud offerings – but what that means for the Eucalyptus software is anyone's guess. The terms of the deal were not disclosed, but a Reuters report cited an unnamed source who claimed it went down for less than $100m. …

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Anyone taking bets on how long it will be before Mickos starts crying in his beer about how HP has ruined Eucalyptus? While sunbathing on his yacht in the Caribbean...

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. luis river

HP good times

The times of it keels in the address of HP they have happened, new horizons open up for this American great company, according to CEO Meg Whitman "When I look at the way the business is performing, the pipeline of innovation and the daily feedback that I receive from our customers and partners, my confidence in the turnaround grows stronger."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: HP good times

HP, Oracle, IBM (Softlayer), Cisco, AT&T are all setting up cloud centers running their intel hdwr while RackSpace sales (using supermicros white boxes) are slowly decaying and rumored looking for a buyer. Meanwhile AWS runs over 300,000 cores at the highest performance and lowest price.. and has been doing it quietly for 10 years with a infrastructure of 3000 or more skilled employees. Now enter super cash rich Google who sports the 2nd highest performance infrastructure. Can these old iron companies compete long term?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022