back to article Ultimate hardware hack: Home Depot nailed by vice merchants

Do-it-yourself kingpin Home Depot has confirmed a report it was breached indicating the compromise occurred in April this year. The US retail chain was working with law enforcement over compromise of payment terminals across stores in the country. Chief executive of the hacked firm Frank Blake admitted the breach in a terse …

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Truth in embedded images!

Also:

The statement says there is no evidence that debit card PINs were compromised and that the investigation was "focused on April forward".

Details of the purloined cards have since appeared on public carder site Rescator.cc, conveniently split into geographic regions to help crims slip under bank fraud radars.

So they don't read Krebs or El Reg or what do they mean?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

re: DEBIT cards

Of course, enough information was obtained to allow the new users of the card data to reset the PINs (from Krebs' latest post on this breach)

I only use cash, and that's exposed me to two fake $20s and very badly faked $10. It was 3am at QT and I'm sure the clerk knew it was fake.

1. frank ly

Re: re: DEBIT cards

The clerks are probablly penalised if any fake notes appear in their till. Control by fear does work, sadly.

1. logistix

Yep and if a person pumps gas and leaves without paying and if a person eats in a restaurant and leaves without paying (chew and screw, pump and dump, dine and dash) We need more PCI Compliance, employee social engineering training, etc. It's only going to get easier and worse and more common. Because people are harnessing the power of technology at the age of 5. Scary stuff. How do I know? Well, because I AM THE GUY THAT FIXED THESE 2 MESSES A COUPLE YEARS AGO: http://www.wired.com/2009/08/tjx-hacker-charged-with-heartland/ AND http://epic.org/privacy/vatheft/

1. elip

I couldn't disagree more... the *last* thing we need is more meaningless "standards" and toothless enforcement options (thanks PCI Compliance!).

2. Herb LeBurger

@logistix

What do pump and dump or dine and dash have to do with PCI compliance or the links you posted? How did you fix those messes?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like