back to article Vertigan killed FTTP but the battle for scalable FTTN has not begun

At a conference early this year, I attended a talk by a major Australian industry association. The talk's only good feature was its possible use as a cure for insomnia. I fled the room as soon as it was possible and polite to do so. As I left, I surprised to feel a tap on the shoulder from a representative of the association …

1. david 12 Silver badge

Either that or...

Either that, or the "tech industry" (of which I am a member) realised, long before the Whirlpool commentariat, the labour party fellow travelers, and the fourth estate, that there was no rational "nation building" argument for the NBN.

It's long since that we stopped hearing the argument that high-density residential countries like Korea and Singapore were overtaking us with their fibre networks. Presumably by now they would be able to demonstrate their "high-bandwidth applications" and their "accelerating" use.

If you want to make that case, give us a credible report. Otherwise I'm going to continue to observe that the NBN is the TV replacement, and not much else.

1. Vulcon

Re: Either that or...

By regarding the NBN as a TV replacement, you are reinforcing his point, that we are ADSL "trained" and never having better, can not see the use.

BTW, Australia is one of the most urban countries in the world (google it!)

2. Fluffy Bunny
    Holmes

"...finished the process of making the NBN debate about economics, not nation-building"

The NBN was never about nation-building. It was about buying a few votes from ignorant people that thought if the government was paying, it wouldn't cost them anything.

I won't ask how many hospitals you could have built with the money already wasted on the NBN, because we already have enough. Instead, how many doctors and nurses could we have hired to fill the empty hospitals? How many (now closed) wards could we have reopened?

1. Vulcon

The NBN is paid for with borrowing, which are repaid by it's users (and will return a profit in time). Other then adding revenue in the future, it costs taxpayers nothing.

So I have the answer to your question which you did not ask.

Forgoing the NBN would enable

-no new hospitals

-no new doctors

-no new nurses

-no new reopening

Yours faithfully,

An ignorant person

(who never thought it would be free)

1. david 12 Silver badge

So borrowing costs nothing?

And borrowing for the NBN does not displace borrowing for other infrustructure?

Your expectation of economic illiteracy would be breathtaking, if it wasn't taking place in a thread about the NBN. Here, we expect nothing else.

3. TuffGuy

Ignorance is not an excuse

Gee I wonder why we need an NBN rather than an MTM?

1. Digital economy. A lot of company business is done online now, gone are the days of copying large files to hard drives and sending it out via snail mail. Companies transfer large data via the internet thus the need for fast uploads in particular.

2. In the near future (it is actually already happening in some instances) you won't go into a shop and buy a game, DVD, BluRay, software application, music CD etc, you will download from the internet. Some applications (Office 360) will run over the internet.

3. Due to the lack of spectrum 4k television will never come over the airwaves it will have to be streamed over the internet and that will require a lot of download speed and quota.

4. New applications yet to be invented. People surveyed in 1994 could not have predicted Google, Facebook, Twitter and all the other things that require a minimum of what can be achieved today.

5. Many government services that include eHealth, schooling, monitoring of elderly or ill patients, etc, etc and more yet to be developed will require fast internet.

6. The rest of the world are rolling out FTTP, even Malcolm Turnbull is investing his own money in fibre rollouts overseas yet Malcolm Turnbull sees fit to relegate Australia to being a technological backwater. All our manufacturing has gone offshore and the digital economy was our only real hope because it will expand massively in the future. But alas we will probably end up a 3rd world country no thanks to Tony Abbott and Malcolm Turnbull.

4. Roadcrew
    Facepalm

It's not rocket science, surely?

Sadly, we're getting all these NBN leaflets in our snailmailbox that seem to have little to do with what we can actually have when we call in and ask - a whole 7Km from the CBD.

Seems they mailed the promo stuff out haphazardly, much like the whole bl**dy NBN thing. <sigh>

Fibre to Node or Premises isn't our issue - it's when we'll ever get anything fibrous at all in this 'burb. As far as I can tell, it's Telstra that keep blocking anything good for their customers, by various means.

They are entirely happy to keep milking the sheeple the way they always have. We've visited remote Atlantic islands that have better service.

Telstra's pricing/performance is already pretty third world, we reckon. Third-rate, for sure.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like