back to article Tech kingpins: Your kit would be tastier with a spot of open source

As storage infrastructure companies try to move to a more software oriented world, they are having to try different things to try to grab our business. In today's world, tin is not the differentiator and they need to compete head-on with open source – which might mean they have to take a more open-source type approach. Of …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Love the idea...

I love the idea of having some of these advanced technologies being offered in an OSS (or even community-edition) version for basic needs and value/enterprise edition for enterprise needs.

The challenge is the tie in to the appliance/infrastructure. EMC can't do this because they don't know how. ScaleIO is a kickass product. I mean it truly reflects a new way forward for the company, but they can't capitalize it because they don't know how. VSPEX/Vblock are great, but the real innovation is from the likes of ScaleIO and VSAN. As an IT consumer, I'd love for big companies to offer up an community version to seed interest. This is almost equivalent to getting it in educational institutions that teaches IT as a vocation. And see how it becomes the foundation for future DC projects.

I reckon others like Oracle, HP, and even the upstarts like Nutanix are seriously looking at this article to see how they should plan out future product strategies.

2. Chiefpeon

EMC ViPR

Check this out...EMC does have a community (commercial free-to-use licence) version of ViPR

www.emc.com/getvipr

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon