back to article Euro space boffins narrow down lander sites on comet doing 135,000km/h toward Sun

The European Space Agency has identified five possible sites where its Rosetta spacecraft could probe comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko. Over the past twenty days, spent in the vicinity of the 3.5km by 4km rock, the craft has taken loads of photographs for the Rosetta team. The boffins have now picked the best places to drop the …

1. Mike Flugennock
    Thumb Up

landing on these weird-assed objects

As I recall from following the NEAR/Shoemaker mission some years back, bodies such as these -- comets and asteroids -- have such weak gravity that it's said that you don't so much land on it as dock with it.

Though not as "glamourous" as places like Venus, Mars, or Titan, I've always been fascinated with these bodies, and am really looking forward to seeing views from "on the ground" on 67P.

Best of luck to ESA and the Rosetta team!

1. Filthysock

Re: landing on these weird-assed objects

Yep, if I recall correctly they will fire grappling hooks at the comet and pull in.

2. boba1l0s2k9
    Thumb Up

Is that my duck??

Sure looks like it. Go science!

3. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Science, eh!

The gift that keeps on giving, and evaluating, and adjusting, and assessing.....

4. Elmer Phud

That reminds me . . .

Lunar Lander, anyone?

5. AbelSoul
    Pint

Outstanding bit of boffinry

And may their lander land

In the manner they planned

Best of luck chaps.

6. Jonathan Richards 1
    Stop

Unambiguous labelling

A, B, I and J --- I and J? If I was looking for labels that couldn't be confused with one another, those two wouldn't make it as candidates.

7. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

harpooning a giant space duck

in space, no one can hear it squeak

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: in space, no one can hear it squeak

quack! not squeak!

8. Mark 85

Just curious..

As the comet approaches the sun and things warm up and blow off, won't the "ground" that the lander is anchored to disappear also? And won't this create problems for the Rosetta craft itself?

9. d3rrial

Overheat?

How should it overheat? It's still quite far away from the sun and it's hooked to chunk of ice(y stuff). I would've figured that the lander would feature some kind of cooling mechanism that can exchange heat between itself and the comet it's attached to...

1. cray74

Re: Overheat?

Philae could overheat because it is in the universe's biggest Thermos bottle (often referred to as "space"). The long legs of the lander means there's somewhere between jack and squat for heat transfer into the icy stuff, and since the icy stuff is low-density, insulating powder and gravel (30% water's density, with vacuum between the particles), you can figure jack left town.

In such an environment the only means of shedding heat available to Philae is radiation, since it eschewed short-term options like the ice sublimation utilized by US space suits. And with internal temperatures of 250 to 320K (guessing), Philae isn't going to be a shining beacon of radiative heat loss. Landing on a section of 67P that is continuously sunlit in this season presents the problem that Philae (covered in dark solar cells) will be warmed by the sun, and warmed by reflected / emitted radiation from the comet, and warmed by its internal components.

A better means of thinking about Philae's situation is not that it is in the cold depths of the solar system attached to a block of ice, but rather than it is a bundle of 32 watts of electronics wrapped in multi-layer insulation and stored in a transparent vacuum bottle. Sunlight at 3AU is shining about 150 watts per square meter onto Philae (which presents about a square meter of area to sunlight), while the reflected light from 67P will be about 7 to 10 watts per square meter. (I don't know how to calculate the infrared burden shed by 67P for all the sunlight it soaks up.) That wattage isn't much, but neither is the rate that Joules are departing the insulated structure in such an environment. It wouldn't take much for the electronics or batteries to exceed their "I smell something funny burning" temperatures.

Taking away Philae's time in shadow (i.e., time when it isn't hit with 150+ watts of extra heat) doesn't help the cooling situation. Apparently, its design is such that engineers are concerned about it overheating.

10. druck Silver badge
    Alert

I'd imagine a big problem is the comet's highly irregular shape, the lander will be making a very slow decent so as not to bounce off, but it also doesn't want to be whacked by the big bobbly bit as it rotates.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like