back to article EMC boots Egnyte from partner list after SHOCK software claims

Top marks for chutzpah. Enterprise storage biz Egnyte is saying its software turns EMC VNX arrays into better file-sharers than EMC's own Syncplicity software does. EMC, meanwhile, says it has not "tested or validated" the product's integration with VNX and has terminated Egnyte from its Tech Connect programme as a result. …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

As the old saying goes :

Never bite the hand that feeds you !

1. elip

Re: As the old saying goes :

for a while now, my re-worked motto has been:

bite the hand that feeds...more often than not, the hand belongs to a real douchebag.

2. future research
    Facepalm

non enterprise

This seems to be same egnyte that claims to do a enterprise file sharing. After struggling with it of half and hour, it was obvious the developers either did not know what they were doing or where not allow to.

The client software required to be installed an administrator (fair enough), but will only work for the user that installed it. So the work around was to give the user Admin rights just to install the software and take them away again, and they claim this is enterprise ready? I found other complaints on the forum at the time, that where a few months old, with no sensible response. I hate to think what they think security is.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: non enterprise

As someone who has had this Egnyte crap foisted on them by other 'senior engineers' who had no idea what the fuck they were doing with it, I wholeheartedly agree.

I'm sure it has it's place, but it's not in anywhere that uses reasonable security practice or particularly wants their files sync'd more than 80% of the time.

To clarify - I'm not a fan.

1. elip

Re: non enterprise

...speaking of EMC and "enterprise", "security", etc...not sure if this is still the case, but have they finally managed to catch up to NetApp and allow admins to actually set the password of the hardcoded administrative accounts on their datamovers/GUIs? As I recall, at least on the Celerra and DMX, for replication, NDMP, and other functions, they actually required that the factory hardcoded username/password (which was the same) remain as they were, claiming they wouldn't support us if we changed them.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This article is incomprehensible to the lay man

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022