back to article AMD dangles 64-bit ARM code developer kit over, well ... developers

AMD has been promising shipments of its 64-bit ARM-based server chips, code-named "Seattle", for the end of the year but now you can get hold of one with the firm's latest developer kit release. From Wednesday those with the cash can hand over $2,999 to AMD and in return get the AMD Opteron A1100-series developer kit …

1. Charles Manning

$3000 ...or...

wait until the end of the year and you'll be able to pick up something Pi-ish based on open source and a cheap board with an Allwinner 64-bitter for under $100.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good deal

Actually AMD's complete package is a good deal for developers. AMD is smart to use their IP to create new revenue streams and provide a much desired open architecture for ARM based systems. This is a win-win for all concerned.

1. LaeMing

Re: Good deal

Yes, you can't really compare prices for dev platforms with hobby platforms! Both are great in their place, but their place is quite different.

1. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

Re: Good deal

Actually you can and should compare the two. I'm more than willing to drop $10K of my own money on the first iteration of an idea here. In this case, no I don't think this is a "good deal." Then again I'm not amongst the targeted audience. No one will be picking up my tab here and I don't see a valid use case either as even this niche is already covered.

3. Tom 64

Feeds and speeds?

If AMD has kept the power consumption very low, I think they will make a killing on these.

Also I wonder if they threw in come GCN cores.

Anybody have more info?

4. iniudan

I was interested to get one, but at that price I'm kind of forced to pass I guess. =(

But I can understand only wanting the professional developer for a completely new product line.

5. Salts

Well you can knock them

But hey, they are still up and fighting after all these years, good luck to them, it's a sound idea, though unlike JoS above I don't have the $3k for one never mind the $10k he mentions he can spaff, but then I am just a liklle person :-)

1. MyffyW Silver badge
      Linux

Re: Well you can knock them

I am intrigued at the prospect of playing around with server hardware + developer kit very early in its life. But $3K is rather more than I have in my purse at the moment.

And AMD partnered with ARM, so many fond memories of both, bless them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like