back to article IBM's GPFS marries LTFS: You may now kiss the enterprise

IBM's General Parallel File System (GPFS) will soon “see” files on tape cartridges through an enterprise edition of LTFS, Big Blue's Linear Tape File System. LTFS comprises a self-describing tape format, with metadata on the material at a known location defining the tape’s file contents. LTFS supports LTO5, LTO6 or TS1140 tape …

1. karlp
    Coat

Holy Acronym Batman.

Seriously though - I like this, now marry this with a smart director engine which can auto-file data with use frequency less than X or data matching pattern Y and we are really cooking.*

*I am sure this is already there, but who knows how difficult it will be to use.....

Karl P

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Yes depending upon how this scales, it would make a very good HSM attachment to a cloud service - why have all that content eg. 'cat pictures' sitting on low density active storage ie. HDD's and so incuring costs when they could be sitting on passive high densiy storage tape and only incurring costs when accessed.

The only catch I can see is managing the metadata...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

erm.... its already there

Try running this with Stored IQ and Content Foundation, would get rid of a lot of headaches running with its own policies. Now, anything for the weekend sir...

3. Open

And Finally

Why did this take soooo long. It was writing on the wall years ago.

Now IBM is the one stop shop for archive and data retrieval. Media market look out Big Blue is after you.A personal fav of mine StorNext needs to grow up quick.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like