back to article Dude, you're getting a Dell – with Bitcoin: IT giant slurps cryptocash

Dell has started accepting Bitcoin as payment for stuff. The PC giant, which notches up about $60bn in annual sales, said on Friday it is testing a feature that lets customers pay for gear with cryptocurrency. "We’re piloting bitcoin, the world’s most widely used digital currency, as a purchase option on Dell.com for consumer …

1. resartica

Perpetual money machine

Step 1 Buy Top of the Line Alienware Laptop

Step 2 Mine Bit Coin

Step 3 Repeat steps 1 and 2.

Step 4 Take over world.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Perpetual money machine

Thought the world might have ended by the time you mine enough bit coins on any sort of PC.

2. Charles Manning

Thermodynamics is a bitch

Step 1: Buy Dell.

Step 2: Mine BC.

Step 3: Mortgage house to pay leccy bill.

Step 5: Repeat step 2 & 3 until house equity <= 0

Step 6: Foreclosure

Step 7: Ruin

3. Michael Kean

Mining with CPU and GPU are no longer profitable.

A GPU can do approx, 300Megahashes per second using 300 Watts

An ASIC miner can do approx. 5,000Megahashes per second on 8 Watts.

4. Michael Habel

Are Alienware even still a thing...? Assuming that they were. Is it still the same Alienware of the '90s. Or has it just become another trendy over-priced Badge?

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Is it still the same Alienware of the '90s, or has it just become another trendy over-priced Badge?

Yes

5. scrubber

Step 4 is unreachable as any decent compiler will tell you

1-3 is an infinite loop.

Goddam code review on el reg comments. Should be getting paid for this shit.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I just wonder

At the fact companies are still trying to get in on the crypto currency nonsense considering the carnage and loss that has been wreaked by numerous attacks on the system / thefts / etc.

Any belief that they're doing it to help support a dynamic, secure new currency is sorely mistaken - they're doing it in the hope that they can make stupid profits from cashing in those coins when their value goes up.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I just wonder

I don't think Dell is holding on to the bitcoins and gambling on them going up or down. They are changing the Bitcoins to cash immediately. This is why Coinbase is involved. If they wanted to hold onto the bitcoins, they'd not need to involve a currency exchange. I'm not an expert, but this is how I read it.

2. Michael Habel

Assuming people are stupid enough to keep pushing it up... But, This is hardly worse then what Governments do by continuously inflating their Fiat Currencies. Thus making everyone wonder why that $10.00(USD) worth of Groceries last week, now suddenly costs then $18.00(USD) this week... Such "Governments" should do the world a favor and just collapse already!

3. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

At the fact companies are still trying to get in on the USD nonsense considering the carnage and loss that has been wreaked by numerous attacks on the system / thefts / global banking fiasco.

Any belief that they're doing it to help support a dynamic, secure economy is sorely mistaken - they're doing it in the hope that they can make stupid profits from cashing in those USD before someone decides to mine a few trillion more quantitatively eased ones

3. westlake

Keeping it simple.

Dell isn't accepting payment in bitcoins.

It is accepting payments in dollars from a single bitcoin exchange.

Re: Keeping it simple.

This.

I would have thought that, El Reg being contrarian as it is, would have taken this angle instead, using the article to take the rest of the world's media to task about the misleading (at best) nature of "XYZ accepting bitcoins!" articles.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Any belief that they're doing it to help support a dynamic, secure new currency is sorely mistaken - they're doing it in the hope that they can make stupid profits from cashing in those coins when their value goes up."

Ah no, they're doing it in the hope of cutting back on the amount Visa/MC skims from the normal way of doing it.

Bitcoin: possible volatility and theft loss

Visa: 1.5% Guaranteed loss every time, +1.5% if a currency transaction occurs + theft losses all at sellers risk, not visa/bank

The current state of play is not loss free for Dell. I predict Dell plan to meet with their bank in a couple of months to discuss the Visa margins further....

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More options with Bitcoin

They forgot to mention that when you pay by Bitcoin, you can request no serial numbers.

Delivery address options now include:

"Mr Smith"

"in an old duffel bag"

"3rd rubbish bin"

"by the big slide in the playground"

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: More options with Bitcoin

So nice to receive your order again Mr Archer.

6. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

Got a Spanish version?

Buying goods from abroad is difficult under the present Venzuelan regime. Bitcoin seems like an answer. Is there a Spanish version of this story, anyone?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes

The Spanish version is:

We intend to implement this impressive new technology

We will waste vast amounts of cash on inefficiency and corrupt deals

The entire thing will be a massive flop and fail before launch

We'll ask for a bailout to cover our asses, and go for a nap.

7. JRW

Don't Being Conned By BitCoins

If BitCoin machines reliably made money why would anyone sell them? WAKE UP! It is a classic bubble and basically a scheme to transfer money from the stupid to the unethical. Just because Nearly Human writers mention BitCoins doesn't mean they will exist in the future, or even the end of the year, it only shows they know nothing about BitCoins or money. You don't need an MA in Economics from Oxford and >25 years in IT to know this. It's a con, simples, run by criminals, at best only useful to criminals or random lucky people (lucky is good, but not reliable). Look up "Just stop it" by Bob Newhart, and I don't even charge the $5. (NB This is true of all the crypto-currencies, not just sh1tCoins). I've not gone anonymous as very happy to go on the public record on anything to do with this con job. This is NOT money, at best it is a risky speculative bet, and the sooner the media start letting people know odds on the value of 1m BitCoins will end as 2p the better.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Don't Being Conned By BitCoins

Well with over 8 Billion USD of market cap and growing, it would appear a lot of people are buying into the con. Remember, the value of bitcoin is that it simplifies online payments with almost zero transaction costs. A box shifter like Dell (as well as many other online merchants) can only see advantages.

And when you think about it, if VISA charges 1.5 % (or more) per transaction to do essentially the same thing as bitcoin, ask yourself, who is pulling the real con here ?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Eight billion dollars is certainly a lot of money, but as Allen Stanford and Bernard Madoff would tell you, the fact that people have $8 billion of "value" in something proves nothing.

The transaction costs aren't "almost zero". They cost nothing to the parties involved in the transaction, but they are verified by the mining network, which has very real energy costs.

The fees that financial institutions charge is a different discussion altogether.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If bought with VISA you can claim the money back if it fails or not delivered.

Lets see someone get their consumer rights from a bitcoin exchange

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Wow - I'm really sold by your desperate arguments to prove that Bitcoin is a con.

I wonder if your being paid to do so?

Thankfully I don't have an MA in Economics at Oxford - or I'd be pushing the same rubbish that has gotten the world into such a bad state.

I heard those silly weak arguments about it being run by criminals - so are you saying the ALL of the Open Source coders out there are criminals. As for only being good for criminals - are you ignoring the fact that money has been used for centuries in this way?

You obviously don't understand anything about Bitcoin - or you wouldn't be writing such bull excrement.

3. d3rrial

Come on people... He's obviously trolling.

First clue: The headline.

Second clue: 'BitCoin machines'. Yes, why would anyone sell shovels if you could use them to dig for gold!

Third clue: MA in Economics from Oxford and >25 years in IT. (I can tell from some of the pixels and from seeing quite a few shops in my time)

Fourth clue: 'simples'. Nobody says that.

Fifth clue: Bob Newhart: Really?

Sixth clue: Public record / Not anonymous. Kind of like the blockchain, right?

The final clue is his 'inability' to write coherent english sentences.

4. Smoking Gun

Lots of people thought the world was flat once.

5. Smoking Gun

Oh and by the way the current financial system is made up of criminals. Bitcoin may have a lot of unknowns but it circumvents said criminals so it works for me.

6. MrDamage Silver badge

You mean like if picks and mattocks reliably mined gold, why would anyone sell them?

Or if shares in a successful company reliably made money, why would anyone sell them?

Moron.

You mean like if picks and mattocks reliably mined gold, why would anyone sell them?

You can't use a pick to mine gold unless you find a gold deposit. All you need for a bitcoin mining box is an electricity supply and a network connection.

If I was making bitcoin mining machines, and I could make more money mining than selling them, do you think I'd be selling them?

Also, you can use picks for other things. A bitcoin mining ASIC, not so much.

Moron.

Maybe not so hasty with the insults next time...

2. MrDamage Silver badge

"You can't use a pick to mine gold unless you find a gold deposit. All you need for a bitcoin mining box is an electricity supply and a network connection."

Sort of like how you can't mine bitcoins unless you find a blockchain? Sure, it's easier to find a blockchain these days than it was to find a gold vein when pickaxes were the tool of choice for gold miners, but the analogy stands.

It comes down to time vs return. With todays mass production techniques, it is far quicker to make money from the production of mining rigs, than it is to mine the bitcoins.

Same as how it was quicker to make pickaxes and sell them off, than it was to make one, and then go out and mine the gold yourself.

8. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Black Road Dude

Re: Interesting move by Dell

No not yet and it would have to be an alt-coin (not sha256 or scrypt) gpu miner unless they are going to get into the ASIC market? Which would be an interesting move for them... but its doubtful.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like