back to article Wham, bam, thank you NAND: SanDisk SSD sales soar

SanDisk sales are booming, based on its NAND foundry integration and well-executed move into enterprise storage. Record second quarter revenue of $1.63bn was 11 per cent up year-on-year. Net income was £274m, 4.6 per cent more than a year ago – with revenues growing faster than profits. SanDisk supplies consumer and business …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

4TB SSD's

Are all well and good for part of the market.

for the rest of us more normal plebs, we are limited to 1TB SSD's at around £300 a time. We haven't seen much improvement in the devices available in a SATA for around a year.

When we see 4TB SSd's in SATA/m-Sata form for a not obscene price, IMHO these devices will be frankly as rare as hen's teeth.

On the business side of things there are some SAN's that don't work very well with a mixture of HDD & SSD drives. I'd love to get SSD performance for our production systems but this is a distant hope IMHO.

The links to SSD performant storage cost two ams and two legs if you really want to take adgantage of the SSD revolution.

My view of the market will most certainly differ from that of some others but Companies/Industries do vary in thir requirements.

1. Aitor 1

Re: 4TB SSD's

SATA? It is a big limit for SSDs.

First they moved to PCIe and now to DIMMs.. SATA is way too slow.

1. Captain Scarlet Silver badge

Re: 4TB SSD's

I think for consumer devices SATA is ok, even an SSD cache on my machine with SATA2 saw a huge improvement.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

SATA as a limiter

Depends on what the drive is being used. For sequential access, it is a big bottleneck. For random access, not necessarily (or at the very least, much less so)

Even with sequential access, it depends on what the sequential access is for. For big file copies, sure, if that's a bottleneck for you. But if you're doing something with that data that's another story. For instance, if you're I/O limited now but will be CPU limited at 200 MB/sec, upgrading beyond SATA is pointless unless you can do some major CPU upgrades (more cores, since you won't get 3x more IPC or 3x more clock)

2. Securitymoose

Still faster than spinning rust

You may not have the capacity for the price, but I run both types of disk in my machine and the SSD is way faster, quieter and uses less power. Yes, you have to archive and remove some of the bloatware that blights our lives, but it is still the future. Frankly I can't see why the rust manufacturers aren't developing and pushing their own SSDs. Have they learned nothing from Kodak?

3. N13L5

Sandisk's QC and service in the consumer space is terrible.

While I'm sure Sandisk takes good care of QC for its enterprise products, in the consumer space, they are horrible. Not only will they ship out SD cards that couldn't possibly have seen testing of any kind, their "customer support" doesn't deserve the name.

I won't deal with a company that treats any of their customers shoddy, because its only a matter of time before you end up on their "not important enough to our bottom line to deal with" list.

Business ethics shouldn't be optional, depending on future profit expectation.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon