back to article Oracle to pay $130,000 plus costs in staff sexual harassment suit

Australia's Federal Court has awarded a former Oracle staffer $AUD130,000 to compensate her for distress caused by sexual harassment from a colleague. The case of plaintiff Rebecca Richardson came to our attention in February 2013, when Oracle was ordered to pay her $AUD18,000 in damages after a colleague harassed her at least …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Judging by the way the men treat the women over there I'm surprised the judge didn't pat her on the head and say "there there now go get me a beer while I fire up the barbie". (although thinking about it the first judge basically did do that!!)

I'm glad that not everyone over there falls into the group of stereotypical bigots that is the Australian man.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Stereotype

> I'm glad that not everyone over there falls into the group of stereotypical bigots that is the Australian man.

Is it still a stereotype if that's what the majority really are like?

2. Simon Sharwood, Reg APAC Editor

There are certainly pockets of old-fashioned values in Australia. Right now, several examples are in Cabinet.

2. TJ1

Correction on Award of Costs

As the article initially says "the court ruled Ms Richardson must pay her own costs" then later "Oracle has also been ordered to pay Richardson's costs" it is misleading and liable to misinterpretation.

In the interests of accuracy the court hasn't - yet - ordered Oracle to pay the victim's (Ms Richardson) trial costs; only the appeal costs.

The court has ordered the victim to file a submission on trial costs within 21 days with a response from Oracle within 21 days (see 2(b)5,6).

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As a side note

Thousands of lawyers in Australia immediately began to salivate from the mouth.

AND

Sexual harassment claims jumped 1,500% since the ruling was announced.

4. GotThumbs

The key word is "Eventually"

"Ms Richardson eventually complained to her manager, who referred the matter to HR."

Holding the company at fault, when she didn't even bring it to HR's attention until after several instances of what she felt was sexual harassment.

Bottom line, if someone says something to you that you find crosses the line, then you immediately/respectfully correct the behavior. There is no need to be an A$$ with your initial correction. If it does occur after your correction, then you repeat your feelings and go directly to HR.

She's expecting the company to parent every employee as if they are children. She got what she wanted....a payday IMO.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No problem

If her case was legitimate and it appears it was then the company got off easy. No one should be subjected to harassment on the job and any company that allows this abuse in the work place should be held accountable.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like