back to article Virty server bones thrown: Gartner mages see Microsoft rising

Gartner’s server virtualisation magic quadrant shows virtualisation juggernaut VMware sitting at the top of the pack for the fifth year running, with Citrix down in the niche player dumps along with Red Hat. There are just two suppliers in the leader’s quadrant: VMware and Microsoft. Oracle is the only challenger and that by a …

1. Sanctimonious Prick
    WTF?

What A Load Of Shit

Bloody hell! It seems el Reg have fallen for another press release marked as news.

FFS! The only difference between VMware and MS's offering is terminology.

I'm starting to lose faith :(

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: What A Load Of Shit

Your name is appropriate.

"FFS! The only difference between VMware and MS's offering is that SCVMM is a bucket of warm shit."

T,FTFY.

Mine's the one with an infrastructure that doesn't need my .ISO files to be in AD-connected "libraries" and has figured basic UI elements, like putting the ability to connect an .ISO file onto the console viewer. You know, usability stuff. For humans. Flesh-and-bone-and-not-PowerShell-scripts.

2. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

I was going to take your comment seriously, then I saw your username.

C.

3. vmcreator

Run along now silly MCITP boy?

VMware is miles ahead of MS, only the intelligent know this.

2. Caesarius
    Meh

Niche Schmiche

I never noticed before, but the way "niche" is talked about makes it sound like a euphemism.

3. Nate Amsden

vmware dedupes memory

Though it's not very effective for linux VMs in my experience, windows VMs seem to get massive deduplication benefits

11:30:19am up 21 days 18:09, 486 worlds; MEM overcommit avg: 0.42, 0.42, 0.42

PMEM /MB: 393179 total: 800 cos, 3164 vmk, 198343 other, 190871 free

VMKMEM/MB: 389783 managed: 23387 minfree, 123791 rsvd, 265992 ursvd, high state

COSMEM/MB: 91 free: 1521 swap_t, 1521 swap_f: 0.00 r/s, 0.00 w/s

NUMA /MB: 96512 (60234), 97916 (68875), 97916 (56153), 97916 (21283)

PSHARE/MB: 5145 shared, 821 common: 4324 saving

SWAP /MB: 0 curr, 0 rclmtgt: 0.00 r/s, 0.00 w/s

ZIP /MB: 0 zipped, 0 saved

MEMCTL/MB: 0 curr, 0 target, 345823 max

I think that equates to about a 3% savings for transparent page sharing? (ESX 4.1U3 host)

I really can't think of anyone who would consider Hyper-V if they weren't already primarily a Microsoft shop.

4. proud2bgrumpy

"...possibility of VMware developing its own containerisation technology..."

"We might ponder on the possibility of VMware developing its own containerisation technology, leaving a stub of operating system calls in each VM and having the core operating system code running with/below its hypervisor."

Err - isn't that vmWare ThinApp and M$ App-V?

- even if these don't conform to the strict definition of Containerisation, they have the same effects; encapsulation of the image, image portability, clean un/install, virtualisation of *shared* resources...

- tell me if I'm wrong.

5. Servman

VMWare sitting in an established lead when MS grows...

I remember reading things just like it in the mid-late 90s when NT was "an interesting app server" and "not ready for enterprise deployment" not to mention "not a serious challenger to Novell".

We all know how that one turned out... Maybe I'd better supplement my VMWare chops with a bit of Hyper-V...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like