E-books for nonagenarians

This topic was created by Neil Barnes .

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

E-books for nonagenarians

I'm seeking recommendations here: the aging and mostly not-on-this world mother in law is distressed at being unable to read her existing collection of books (mostly history, religion, psychology, and history of art in a mixture of English, Portuguese, and German) due to their small print. She's based in Brazil.

Even though smaller, an ebook seems like it might be a useful thing (in that the size of the text can easily be changed) - but the question is which one? I don't really think she's going to be able to handle a tablet but that might be the way to go if only for the size. Particularly I don't want her to be able to browse around the bookshops and inadvertantly purchase six dozen books at twenty quid a time - though she will of course be able to do that with assistance; I just don't want her to have a permanantly open account and network! She has a local working wireless network (2.4GHz) so she doesn't need phone connectivity.

Any suggestions would be greatfully received.

Thanks.

2. rizb

My mum's in a similar situation and is very happy with her e-reader.

http://www.kobo.com/koboaurahd

The increased screen rez means you can scale the fonts up much more smoothly.

3. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Thanks, I hadn't noticed that one. I'm a big fan of the Kobo range and I need to get myself a new glo this weekend anyway...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon