back to article HUMMING about standards is NOT VOTING, says IETF RFC

It's nice to know that the 'net boffins of the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), while they're dealing with trivia such as building an NSA-proof Internet, working out the next generation of routing protocols, making sure our VoIP calls connect, and slinging the 'net into the outer planets, can still find time for the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Panicnow

HURRAH

Dave Clark: “We reject: kings, presidents and voting. We believe in: rough consensus and running code.”

I can think of a LOT of other places where this method would be transformational.

UK Parliament for one!

1. Trigonoceps occipitalis

Re: HURRAH

Which King and which President are members of the UK Parliament? Enquiring souls want to know.

1. Yes Me Silver badge

Re: HURRAH

Dave Clark's a US citizen who lives in the Boston area. You may recall that they rejected a King, and the UK Parliament, some time ago. Rejecting Presidents and voting would still be contentious I guess. But the real message here is that if the opinions on a technology standard are split 51:49, the discussion isn't done yet. Voting on technical choices is a really dumb idea.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022