back to article Google to acquire satellite eye-in-sky Skybox for $500m

Google has entered into an agreement to acquire its Mountain View, California neighbor Skybox Imaging, a five-year-old satellite imagery and data-analysis startup. "We're thrilled to announce that Skybox Imaging has entered into an agreement to be acquired by Google!" the company wrote in a blog post on Tuesday. The deal will …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. i like crisps
    Big Brother

Bloody Hell...

...All they need to do now is recruit 100,000 Orcs, and Middle Earth is theirs for the taking!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bloody Hell...

A large person wearing a large white jacket on black asphalt appears as a discolored pixel in uncompressed 1m imagery. Hobbits and Dwarves still have their privacy.

1. RedneckMother

Damn - I've been randomly "flipping off" the sky for NOTHING?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Damn - I've been randomly "flipping off" the sky for NOTHING?

Don't worry, a Google Streetview car is already on its way to get more detail.

1. RedneckMother

Not to brag (oh, bullshit - I AM bragging), but Streetview can get no closer than 4.2 miles - there's a locked gate, two mesas, and a private dirt road intervening. If they make it past that, they're in serious danger of lead poisoning, there are no phone lines, and cellular signals are nonexistent.

We don't have 911, we use Smith & Wesson.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Still "do no evil"?

You know, I am *totally* against lasers being pointed at the sky, but if there is a way to do this without harming air traffic the temptation would be seriously high now.

This should not be approved unless one of them is brought into geo-stationarry orbit pointing at the homes of Google management. Personally, I think this should be a rule for all of them (yes, Zuck, for you too): anyone wanting my personal data will have to share theirs first.

1. Tom Maddox Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: Still "do no evil"?

Don't worry, your tin-foil hat will protect you.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

so a company that manufacturers internet connected thermostats and faulty smoke detectors is somehow worth 6x as much as a company that launches and operates imaging satellites?

1. Mark 85

Sure... the thermostat and smoke detector company is a profit center. The satellite company is a cost center.

I think I got my corporate-speak correct there.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"The satellite company is a cost center."

Hence the current owners being "thrilled" at the acquisition. They don't really give a shit about the company any more. It's all about the money.

4. Crazy Operations Guy

Does Google even have a business plan?

With all these acquisitions, I am doubting that Google actually has one. What is their goal anyway? Are they a search engine, a car company, handset manufacturer, operating system vendor, advertising agency, or what?

From what I've seen, I think their business plan is "throw money at cool stuff, something is bound to make money"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Does Google even have a business plan?

That's exactly it. Do cool stuff, worry about how to make money from it later.

Alot of the cool free stuff you get from Google and take for granted was born this way.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Does Google even have a business plan?

You could say the same about about most of the big multi-billion companies.

Are Samsung a TV maker, a phone maker, a home appliance, maker, a ship builder, an insurance company etc?

5. Chris G

Eye of Borgon

Assimilating an eye in the sky biz means they can watch for interesting gatherings of people like thousands in a traffic jam, bored, stuck in their cars, sick of the radio. Given the company also designs satellites they could fit them with laser light show equipment to beam ads down on us, beats the hell out of a sky writing crop duster or a trailing banner.

1. Mark 85

Re: Eye of Borgon

It just hit me as I read your post...satellites what they want to use now instead of balloons to bring the 'net to the world... http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/06/02/google_space_project/

Makes perfect sense now. Maybe.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How bizarre...

A company that actually makes and designs things is worth a "mere" £500m, while a company that does feck all useful (WhatsApp) gets valued at £1.9Billion...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like