back to article Plugging the gaps in today's Macs: Elgato Thunderbolt Dock

I remember the days when Elgato was busy knocking out clever telly and video capture gadgets for Macs and PCs. It still does, and for fondleslabs, mobiles and game consoles too, but in the last couple of years the company has obviously caught some kind of Thunderbolt bug. Elgato Thunderbolt Dock Making all the right …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

200 quid?!

In order to give your Mac laptop what it should have had in the first place??

Wow you Apple buyers really do like to pony up don't you!

1. P. Lee

Re: 200 quid?!

A Dell port replicator will set you back $170 and a docking station $220.

But yes, missing features are just wrong.

Now, if it could be connected with magsafe connectors, that would be different (lightpeak, you are sadly missing...)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 200 quid?!

£200 for a device that provides all the sockets your £1,500 laptop didn't come with is small change considering an extra Displayport monitor hovers around the £700 mark.

Mac users are like Warhammer gamers - lots more disposable income than me.

2. Gordon 10

Hmm

Missing dual monitor support is a showstopper for me. Is that too much to ask for in this day and age?

1. jonathanb Silver badge

Re: Hmm

If dual monitor support is the only thing you want, a €15 adapter will do the job.

2. Irony Deficient

missing dual monitor support

Gordon, if I understood the review correctly, it’s simultaneous HDMI and Thunderbolt monitor support which is missing in this device. At least on the Apple side of the tracks, if sufficient GPU capacity is present, under OS X one could presumably still use two Thunderbolt monitors simultaneously, or one Thunderbolt monitor and one Mini DisplayPort monitor simultaneously if they’re daisy-chained with at least one non-monitor separating them and if the Mini DisplayPort monitor is at the end of the chain. The fructual fine print can be found here.

3. AJ Shortt
    Unhappy

Too much

I like the idea of a dock to add stuff like ethernet to my MBP when I'm at my desk. I also stupidly thought this had a built in drive too so thought 200 quid wasn't that bad. Found out it didn't so yeah, £200 is too much!

This topic is closed for new posts.