back to article iOS 8 to PROBE your GUTS and your HOME

Apple's iOS 8, introduced on Monday and due to reach the masses this fall, has a raft of upgrades, but perhaps two of the most interesting items announced at the company's developers shindig are APIs that involve monitoring your vital signs and controlling your home. The HealthKit API and the Health app – united to keep an …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Hero Protagonist

Why did I read that as

Heathkit?

1. Frankee Llonnygog

Re: Why did I read that as

Heathkit was yesterday's 'one more thing' - an API that lets you remote control a homemade valve regenerative receiver with an iPhone

2. hugo tyson

Me too. Showing my age?

3. Robert Ramsay

You're lucky - I ALSO read the guy's name as "Ferenghi"

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HealthKit APIs

They want to record just how much iWanking is going on whilst using an iDevice.

Yours Truly

iTroll

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: HealthKit APIs

In my case a lot less since Johnny introduced the chamfered edges.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wow

I just had a wet dream about all that Apple does. Still breathing heavily.

Bring it on Apple. Cant wait. Desperately waiting for this to happen so that I can empty my pockets once again for the pleasure.

Still panting !

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh yeah.

So when me and Mrs AC are in the mood for lurve our phones will know, dim the lights and play the sweet and soulful sounds of The Bachman Turner Overdrive. Truly, you ain't seen nothin' yet Smooth.

Or Apple could just do some basic textual analysis of browser history and save a lot of R&D dollars.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe they'll integrate that Philips app

Philips brought out an app that used the camera to measure your breathing frequency and heart rate. Apparently cameras are granular enough to spot the skin colour change brought about by your heart beat which I found quite impressive.

I'm OK with an API here - some consistency in health kit management is a good thing IMHO.

6. Annihilator
    Holmes

""But up to now," Federighi said, "the information gathered by those applications lives in silos – you can't get a single comprehensive picture of your health situation.""

He says that as if it was someone elses bad design they're fixing.

7. Admiral Grace Hopper

Silos

In a previous existence I worked for EDS under Dick Brown who sent regular uplifting missives to all hands. He made the best and clearest statement about silos that I ever read, so good that I memorised it and live by it to this this day:

"Taking a holistic view removes silo blinders and allows us to surround opportunities throughout the organization".

Poetry.

8. David Pollard

There's big money in home and health data

Sainsbury's are after a slice of this data too, using a somewhat different angle. At the pharmacies in their large stores they are offering free advice about prescriptions. As part of this service customers are asked to sign a consent form which allows Sainsbury's to contact their GP; and obviously they store the data.

There will be more ploys to persuade people to use facilities which allow harvesting of their personal health data in coming months and years.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Standardising APIs

will mean it's easier to pwn devices & for malware to spread. Inevitable.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

wait... whut?

Is it just me thinking about this... but with this Healthkit... the gurvenmint could potentially monitor your health (along with your employers) and if you happen to get some bolivian marching powder or some dope into you, they could track where you have been and pin down the locations of your dealers?

11. John Savard

Certainly the "iWatch" is the first thing I thought of when I heard Apple mentioned software changes related to health. No doubt the crowd was disappointed that it wasn't announced yet.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"the app will contact the hospital and notify the patient's doctor"

*orders barge pole*

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like