back to article Anonymous: Why we're PICKETING Glenn Greenwald's book tour

Members of hacker collective Anonymous are preparing to picket journalist Glenn Greenwald's book tour – where the journo hopes to promote a tome about his reports on leaked files given to him by ex-National Security Agency sysadmin turned whistleblower Edward Snowden. The hacktivists want to disrupt the hack's book signings on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Facepalm

The brand that popularized Pierre-Greenwald's Snowden leaks is only so 'edgy' and 'cool' because heroes like the PayPal 14 took direct action.

I just want /b/ to go away. Please? 4chan is safe now that the hack has been cleaned up, right?

There is ALSO that X-files episode "Jose Chung's 'From Outer Space'" (1996) where the following is said by a nerd character:

Well, hey, I didn't spend all those years playing Dungeons and Dragons and not learn a little something about courage.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

This isn't 4Chan. Try some of the more outlying colonies. The bulk of the hivemind does not support these ridiculous actions.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

epic fail

trying to tie in the refusal to fund Wikileak's clearinghouse to the Snowden files is pretty lame, but typical in a Low Information Reactionaries' fashion

1. Ole Juul

Re: epic fail

It's a stretch all right. I wonder if they every read any of Greenwald's articles but perhaps they're a bit long for the ADHT crowd.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Re: epic fail

What's ADHT?

3. ecofeco Silver badge
    Trollface

*snerk*

derp derp

that'll show 'im!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Glenn touring the US?

I wonder if he will.

There's some talk of Snowden being a foreign agent in that what he stole isn't what he claimed he was after. So was Glenn an accomplice?

I also wonder what happens if the truth ever came out that Snowden was a spy. How would Glenn feel? IMHO he'd still be the smug git claiming he did right in exposing the evil US Government.

1. g e
      Coat

Re: Glenn touring the US?

... and he'd be right.

The one with some Noam Chomsky in the pocket (no, not kibbles)

1. Ian Michael Gumby

Re: Glenn touring the US?

I suggest you read the Op/Ed in the WSJ...

Very enlightening on this topic.

5. unitron
    Headmaster

How anonymous will they be able to remain...

...walking a picket line?

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: How anonymous will they be able to remain...

Not very, as in most major NA cities you need to get a permit to protest. (Or at the very least, keep the cops informed of time/date, leave a contact person with them who can help the cops round up anyone who breaks the law, etc.) More to the point, the majority of Anonymous isn't behind this in any way, so there isn't going to be a huge turnout.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All a bit weak, just as I would expect from those skiddie twats. There are several valid reasons to get annoyed with Greenwald, starting with his personality, continuing to his total technical incompetence (Cryptocat? REALLY?), and finishing with his apparent desire to just keep releasing stuff even when it's kind of what you'd expect a competent intel agency to do - eg the Aussies targeting known extremists who have caught doing extreme things. Kind of what you'd figure the spooks should be doing (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-14/documents-reveal-new-details-in-australias-bid-for-nsa-spy-help/5453764).

There's a lot to be grateful about the whole Snowden episode. I just wish that egotistical twat hadn't been involved.

That said, Anonymous need to fuck the fuck off.

1. Rob Crawford

He's a journalist why would you expect him to have any sort of technical competence?

As for his personality, this is his mealticket,

As for anonymous although they have done some interesting and even useful things for the most parts they're just a group of Kevins (as in Harry Enfield) shouting I'm not your slave and wanting everything their own way regardless of the lack of logic they apply (which is such a waste)

7. Roj Blake Silver badge

Agent Provocateur

"The 14th suspect had their case processed separately and their name withheld. It is unclear how they pleaded to the charges."

Seems to me that the 14th suspect is either an informer or a plant.

1. Lamont Cranston

Re: Agent Provocateur

Might be a child.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Played

I still have this niggling feeling that most of Anonymous are being setup by a few players that know what they're doing.

Look at LOIC. How hard woud it have been to send the DDoS through TOR to at least provide some level of protection for its users? I don't buy into the idea that the failure to do so was an oversight, or techincally too difficult to achieve.

Sadly, Anonymous are more likely to result in further internet censorship, mointoring, and policing for all of us than they are to achieve any of their goals, even if they knew what their goals were.

This topic is closed for new posts.