back to article Why not build your own VSAN hardware, asks VMware

When VMware launched its virtual storage area network (VSAN), it announced a laundry list of partners it said would be offering tricked-up servers to act as “ready nodes” real soon now. Cisco, Dell, Fujitsu. Supermicro and Inpsur have put up their hands and with “ready nodes”, servers with disk-slots-a-plenty capable of being …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. K

Understaffed, underpaid and overworked..

Now management want us to do what? Oh, go f*ck yourself :)

I love building my own systems, its the reason I got into Development and Ops. The thought of building my own SAN makes me feel like a kid at xmas - but likewise it also frightens the living hell out of me.

Lets face it, my team of 2 manages a vast array of software and hardware, its impossible to be an expert in everything. Hence we purchase business critical systems such as SANs from Dell and EMC etc, purely because when the chips are down, they can bring a level of expertise that would be practically impossible to have in-house.

This hesitation might just be due to my lack of exposure of using vSANs (with the exception of Starwinds), I will eventually get round to playing with them and then change my mind, but until then I won't be deploying them in any business critical fashion.

2. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Why not build your own VSAN?

Do check that AHCI is supported first, hmm? Oh, it's not? You need to pay for ...and pay for...and...oh! How interesting! I'll just...wait, a little bit of...wow. That's expensive.

3. G Olson

A dedicated storage network

"Virtual SAN utilizes a dedicated VMkernel port type and proprietary transport protocol for internode traffic. "

"Because vSphere Network I/O Control requires the use of a VMware vSphere Distributed Switch™ (VDS), all editions of Virtual SAN include VDS capability. For optimal performance, VMware recommends the use of a dedicated storage network."

And this is different or better from my current storage implementation how?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like