back to article Samsung will ... sigh ... appeal $119m Apple patent verdict

Thought the years-long court battle between Apple and Samsung had come to a close with last week's verdict, did you? Bad news, then; Samsung has announced that it will be appealing the $119m jury ruling. The Korean electronics and washing-machine giant said that it would seek to overturn the patent infringement verdict handed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ThomH

Sounds smart to me

What PR effect do news stories about the legal battle usually have, respectively, for Samsung and Apple? Do companies that size really notice $119m either way? So in whose favour is it to keep this thing going?

1. Cliff

Re: Sounds smart to me

They're kind of obliged, really. If the appeal costs less than $119M, they owe it to their shareholders to do so.

On sheet vindictive grounds too, it's worth it. The $119M is sunk now anyway, so may as well throw a couple of last punches as the bouncers drag them away - if nothing else it shows they won't just roll over for a fisting from patent trolls.

1. FartingHippo
        Boffin

"They're kind of obliged, really. If the appeal costs less than $119M, they owe it to their shareholders to do so."

Not really. If they assess the chance of winning at 100% then they should spend up to $119m. If they assess the change as just 10% then spending $11.9m would be the rational thing to do.

Oh, dear, I just used the word 'rational' about these ego-driven lawsuits. *sidles off in shame*

2. Ian Yates
      Headmaster

Well, you know, it's us consumers who'll win out in the end... possibly... that's the purpose of enforcing patents, right?

I wonder what the court costs are raking up to by now, and who'll have to pay them; or are they included in the awarded damages?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bunch of slimebuckets all the way

3. Philip Lewis
    FAIL

Samung, serial offender

Pointed out in another thread.

http://www.vanityfair.com/business/2014/06/apple-samsung-smartphone-patent-war

If you can be bothered to read this excellent article, you might understand that the evil party, as a matter of corporate policy, is not Apple.

Down vote away, but Samsung has, and has always considered IP infringement (and outright cartel activity as well) a cost of business and they have been hammered by various governments and some of their executives have done hard time for their behaviour (more of it I say).

1. Len Goddard

Not much to choose between them

Sumsung - serial patent violator

Apple - serial patenter of ridiculous non-inventions

A pox on both their houses.

1. Ian Bush
        Stop

Re: Not much to choose between them

Agreed, but if a pox on the companies what malady is sufficient for the ultimate problem here, the ridiculous state of the US legal system wrt IP issues?

(And yes, I know there are multiple redundancies in that sentance)

2. eulampios
      Thumb Down

Re: Samung, serial offender

but Samsung has, and has always considered IP infringement a cost of business..

Now tell me, who doesn't? Pretty much every company had paid some damages for a "patent infringement" or two, including even both MS and Apple. Apple had also been found to infringe a filesystem patent too. No need for any evil corporate policy, when the head and all of the upper management so adamantly believe that they had really invented the rectangle with those never-seen-before rounded corners!

3. Intractable Potsherd

Re: Samung, serial offender @Philip Lewis

I've just read it - if you think that is "an excellent article", then all I can say is that we have a very different interpretation of "excellent". Hearsay, recycled rumour, a lawyer that claims the executives of (another tech firm) "couldn't lie to save their lives" ... all rubbish slanted towards the American view.

Oh, and using "Vanity Fair" as a reliable source? ... No, just no.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This time Apple might get lucky

1 beeellion dollars just because the court was pissed that Samsung appealed.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

Let the record state that I said "Told you so"

Well, at least a few young law firm associates will get to pay off their college loans....

6. Tromos

They should run these cases a bit like Dragons' Den. If the jury doesn't award the full amount being claimed, you go away empty-handed.

7. Steve Crook

Charles Dickens would be proud

It's not often that life imitates art so brilliantly...

1. Cliff

Re: Charles Dickens would be proud

Which one is Fagin?

2. The Bit Wrangler

Re: Charles Dickens would be proud

Sadly, both houses have more money than could possibly be frittered-away in a Jarndice v Jarndice-like perpetual battle... The lawyers will feed in perpetuity I fear....

8. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

Samsung probably hopes

That the appeal will be handled by a less biased judge, or at least one that wasn't an employee of an apple "associate".

9. This post has been deleted by its author

10. Mint Sauce
    Go

Rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty

I can't help thinking that one legal team is probably headed up by Vroomfondel, and the other by Majikthise...

11. Pypes

Files system: $100,000

Aesthetics & Ergonomics: $100,000,000

Is it any wonder their is a shortage of decent STEM workers when society values their efforts several orders of magnitude lower than the lads drawing pretty pictures.

(I am aware I work for a print firm and spend most of my time drawing pretty pictures)

12. John Savard

Smartphones Before Apple?

I remember it being mentioned that the iPhone wasn't the world's first smartphone. So I looked it up.

Android phones came out a year after the iPhone. Before the iPhone, there was the Blackberry, there were phones running Symbian, there were phones running PalmOS, which licensed a lot of stuff from the Apple Mac, and the first smartphone may have been something from IBM.

There wasn't much, and especially there wasn't much multitouch before Apple. Does that mean, though, it should be able to control so many key features from being first as to have an effective monopoly on the product category?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like