back to article Live coverage: Blood Moon looms large for North, South America

The "blood moon" is showing its ruddy face on Tuesday, 15 April, and can best be viewed from North America or New Zealand – or in the live coverage streamed here, from the Slooh Observatory. Youtube Video Slooh's telescopes are positioned off the west coast of Africa in the Canary Islands, and started covering the lunar …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Denarius
    Unhappy

rats, cloud

5/8ths cloud in east in Eastern Oz as moon due to rise soon

1. Thomas 4

Re: rats, cloud

Is the chance of rats because the moon is made of cheese?

1. Denarius
        Coat

nah, cheesed off observers. Has been a mice autumn though. Been too wet for rats and red bellied blacks ate them anyway. Eaten the brown snakes too as I have seen none this year, which is a first. Mines the one with traps in the pocket

2. Denarius
      Happy

SE Oz getting better sky. Cloud breaking up, some penumbral eclipse for kids to ignore observed. Now looks like a great last quarter, except it isn't.

2. jellypappa
    Pirate

me thinks dirty tricks are a foot

at last something we can all get for free without the fear that the greedy burgers at APPLE won't be trying to get a chunk of wonga by slapping a writ on it.

1. Denarius
      Joke

Re: me thinks dirty tricks are a foot

not thought of mooning 1 Infinite Loop then ?

1. jake Silver badge

Methinks Selene is doing exactly that as we speaktype, Denarius.

2. Euripides Pants
      Joke

"at last something we can all get for free without the fear that the greedy burgers at APPLE won't be trying to get a chunk of wonga by slapping a writ on it."

Wrong. They're going to sue the moon for trademark infringement - for a while the moon did look suspiciously like an apple with a bite taken out of it.

1. jake Silver badge

@ Euripides Pants (was: Re: me thinks dirty tricks are a foot)

And don't forget the Moon has rounded corners.

3. jake Silver badge

Sonoma, Ca reporting in.

Low thin clouds, probably will be foggy by morning.

Moon red, Mars orange as always (why do people call Mars red, anyway?) ... took a few pictures, the water vapo(u)r in the air will probably make them look like crap.

The ancients would have been having conniption fits ;-)

4. expat jan
    Facepalm

sort of off topic

I struggled with this article, trying to understand what the other event or events might be that cause El Reg to exhort us to watch the "phenomena".

I know 13 or 15 years of Labour non-education has done wonders to the dumbing down of the UK population, but I'd have thought geeks would have avoided such basic ignorance of our rich, multicultural (!) language.

5. chivo243 Silver badge
    Meh

Video doesn't load

I'm in the Netherlands, the video doesn't load, but I don't get a message the video is not available in my area, think Yahoo!

Would love to see the vid!

6. Peter Simpson 1
    FAIL

Boston, Massachusetts: true to form

Solid overcast, not even a glow visible through it (yes, I got up at 1 AM and checked).

1. Tom 13

Re: Boston, Massachusetts: true to form

Practically the whole east coast of the US was borked last night. Clouds and rain from Bangor, Maine to Miami Florida, and I believe out to Minnesota on the east-west axis. Roomie's mother called asking about coming down to where we are to see it. I asked if she'd actually looked at a weather map.

1. jake Silver badge

@Tom 3: (was: Re: Boston, Massachusetts: true to form)

Here on the Left Coast, we'll take all the water you can ship us ... To hell with a transatlantic tunnel, how about a transcontinental water pipe? One man's trash is another man's treasure & all that.

Think a project along the lines of the Interstate Highway system[1]. Or trans continental oil & gas pipelines. Or the Rail System. It [c|w]ould put a lot of people to work, and move a hazard (flooding) to where people actually grow the nation's food in the desert. Win-win.

[1] After we fix the b0rken Interstates, of course ... gotta move construction equipment somehow.

7. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Below horizon here

And cloud, of course, but sites like slooh are just great for this. Showed the kids the transit of Venus two years back by logging onto slooh on the smartphone. It's just great what IT has brought us.

8. Stevie

Bah!

April 15th?

Ties in nicely with the IRS's "We can get blood out of a stone" campaign.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like