back to article China's Bitcoin exchanges begin pulling down the shutters

The Chinese central bank's Bitcoin crackdown, first signalled in December 2013, is coming to fruition as the middle kingdom's Bitcoin exchanges begin halting withdrawals. The FXBTC exchange has posted a notice saying that it received the instruction by telephone as part of the central bank's “Bitcoin risk prevention work”, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. frank ly

"... it received the instruction by telephone ..."

It sounds very informal. Can I call them and tell them to start accepting Bitcoins again?

1. Ole Juul

Re: "... it received the instruction by telephone ..."

If your Chinese is anything like mine, whatever you say may not have the desired effect. Oh, and I do a great German accent too.

2. Suricou Raven

Incoming contradiction.

Half the bitcoin enthusiasts are going to see this as yet another death blow, driving the currency further away from legitimate use and back to the shady underground of drug dealers and other illicit transactions.

The other half are going to point out that the whole idea of bitcoin is that it subverts government control and manipulation, and legal actions to suppress it were expected from the beginning. That a superpower like China would feel sufficiently threatened to start interfering in such a manner is just further evidence that it is a serious payment system and no longer just a crypto-anarchists' toy. They will also point out that, while the 'conventional' finance system can be ordered to stop serving exchanges, bitcoin transactions themselves are effectively impossible to regulate.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022