back to article Toshiba baby OCZ flings open coat, bares PCIe flasher to world

New Toshiba subsidiary OCZ has a new PCIe flash card, the Z-Drive 4500, complete with solid enterprise credentials - and none of the Ryan Petersen era hype. That era produced the Z-Drive R5 with a notional 3 million IOPS and 12TB of capacity. That product has disappeared from the OCZ roster and we now have the new Z-Drive …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tsunamijuan

Strange specs and not my choice

I am rather surprised that it is pcie2.0 not 3.0 at this point.

The biggest thing is I would not put this in a virtualized environment. I am sure the price is rather high still, but OCZ is hardly known for their reliability when it comes to flash drives. So it immediately would make someone think twice about where they want to spend that kind of money.

I would go far enough and say I wouldn't want to put this in a production environment in general. Might be fine for a test lab but nothing production oriented.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

how do prices compare for SSD, PCIe SSD, PCIe flash and Flash DIMMs?

how do prices compare for SSD, PCIe SSD, PCIe flash and Flash DIMMs? I am interested

3. longocz

destruction

OCZ had set ssd progress back years.

as a company they are like herpes. anyone who gets involved with them is dirty.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I use OCZ drives both at work and home. They offer exceptional performance with decent pricing and I've never had a single issue with the dozen devices I purchased. OCZ reliability is no better or worse than the industry standard for SSD failures. Most people who whine about their supposed unreliability (vocal minority) are those who lose data when the drive fails as they didn't back it up. That's on you mate for your ignorance, not the company.

I've since found a way to use my home RevoDrive on Ubuntu and it's a cracking piece of kit once you get rid of the overhead that is Windows. Mounting an SSD direct to the PCIe is inspired and works brilliantly on my gaming rig with a seven second boot time to the login screen.

4. Pete 2 Silver badge

Virtual bits?

> pricing and availability information

Without that there's nothing.

Once the device is on the shelves and has some independent user reviews: then we can talk.

5. Suricou Raven

Pricing.

If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

1. Michael Habel

Re: Pricing.

If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

Which is why I'll just continue to stick with this thing they call Spinning Rust... As the cost - performance levels are better matched then they currently are with SSD Tech. But, thankfully the tide is turning... If only slowly. But, I agree this thing is not likely to come in at under Four Digits.

1. Howverydare

Re: Pricing.

Of course it isn't. The ones it replace are thousands of pounds. Why would this halve that?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like