back to article Fanbois sent into FITS of RAGE by fake Steve Jobs statue competition

Fanbois around the world were sent into an incandescent rage this week by news that a hideously ugly statue of Steve Jobs was set to stand outside Cupertino. But The Register has learned that Apple has no intention of erecting the mildly phallic structure near its headquarters. In fact, some of our friends within the fruity …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Blofeld's Cat
    Trollface

Hmm...

"Dragan Radenovic" could be an anagram - let's see...

"A Carving Adorned" ... "I carve darn gonad" ... "A Cardigan Vendor" ... "Graved Draconian" ...

1. Mtech25
      Unhappy

Re: Hmm...

He has a cool name but not that great a statue builder have you seen a picture of the sculptor?

I am not an apple fanboi and even I think the statue is an insult.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

He has a cool name but not that great a statue builder have you seen a picture of the sculptor?

I love this comment; it is the quintessence of the Internet middlebrow echo chamber. "Hey, I have an opinion which adds nothing to the discussion and is only tangentially related to it at best. Here it is! Also I used the wrong homonym, which ironically is the very word which would have substituted for an awkward phrase earlier in the sentence."1

Indeed, I suggest that in the future we use "mtech25" as a synonym for "middlebrow", much as we have adopted the names of such goodfolk as Quisling and Bowdler into our vocabularies.

1It is a commonplace among those of us who teach writing, or more to the point study the teaching of writing,2 that the present generation, in the industrialized world and on average, writes more than any previous one, thanks to the tremendous growth in online writing, texting, etc. And this has had some salutary effects on the state of written expression, but also means we often mine a poorer vein.

2Everyone needs a hobby.

2. Khaptain Silver badge

More anagrams

* Cadaver And Groin

* Vagina Dancer Rod

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You missed the obvious for one of thhem

Vagina Rod Dancer

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Although "Vagina Rod Dancer" sounds like a dysphemism for "pole dancer", the guy is in fact Serbian, not a Pole.

Anyway, take it away Tina...

"Vagina Rod Dancer,

A dancer for money,

I'll do what you want me to do...

Vagina Rod Dancer,

A dancer for money,

And any old music will do."

2. BillG
          Happy

The "Vagina Rod Dancers" would be a great name for a rock group.

2. Sander van der Wal
    Thumb Down

A downside of presenting fake news is that everybody will believe that the entiere site is a fake. Including the ads that pay for the site.

1. g e

A curious effect though

Is that it was so believable which means most people think it's entirely plausible.

Which reflects on Apple and their public perception, regardless.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: A curious effect though

I think it says more about what passes as public art nowadays. I mean years ago, if someone had said that the one of the world's richest men, Mohamed Al Fayed, would erect a statue of alleged kiddy fiddler and singing superstar but definitely not a soccer fan Michael Jackson at Fulham Football Club's stadium, anyone hearing it would be checking their calendar to see if it was April 1st. Same with most of the other WTF? statues and buildings that get passed nowadays.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Jackson didn't, but Vanessa Mae...

"alleged kiddy fiddler [..] Michael Jackson"

The allegations are entirely false. Jackson may have been musically talented, but he never played the violin as a child.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: A curious effect though

I would have believed it if I had been told they were going to erect a Rabbit.

3. Crisp

Were Apple available for comment?

If you can't get an answer from an official Apple spokesperson then you ought to get that mole on the payroll.

1. Cliff

Re: Were Apple available for comment?

As I recall Apple and The Reg had a bit of a falling out over something quite silly and a long time ago.

1. jubtastic1

It's curious, As I recall It stemmed from the 'jagwire' piss taking when they covered the 10.2 release, but over the last year El Reg has been saying it was down to some hairdo comment I can't remember ever hearing about.

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Yeah, my thoughts too. I disctinctly remember the "jagwyre" episode:

http://search.theregister.co.uk/?q=Jagwyre

(most of the fun being -surprisingly- had by Andrew O., noted Apple enthusiast).

and the start of the You-are-dead-to-me period -attributed to said episode:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06/13/humiliation_apple/

but I can't recall the hairdo thing.

4. Suburban Inmate
    Gimp

Blend traditional authority with modern irreverence.

I'm thinking they could have a statue styled on that of Kim Il-sung, but with the arm holding an iThingy taking a selfie.

1. Tex Arcana

Re: Blend traditional authority with modern irreverence.

No, no, no... It's got to be a Steve Jobs bobble head statue...

5. Sebastian Brosig

Hairdo.

Did S Jobs have any hair? Must've been a good long while back.

6. Paw Bokenfohr

It seems odd to me...

...that shoddy / inaccurate / wrong reporting from one party is being blamed on another party simply because said party refused to confirm or deny.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It seems odd to me...

Not odd at all - this is The Reg - daily Apple bashing is part of their Microsoft subsidised mission statement.

7. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Doing a slavic job on Steve Jobs?

And why is Steve always late?

Roll on, Dragan!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Doing a slavic job on Steve Jobs?

>And why is Steve always late?

Er, could be because he's dead.

8. Pete 2 Silver badge

Havin' a larva

> an Apple mole told ...

Is that some sort of maggot?

9. Ted Treen
    Happy

Come on, Jasper...

"...sent into an incandescent rage..."

I've told you several million times - "Don't exaggerate"

10. Matthew 25

Hey Fanbois

...and Fangrls

Apple doesn't love you. Just your money.

(Granted - all other companies only love your money too)

11. Pirate Dave Silver badge
    Pirate

Wait a second...

so the statue is real, but the competition is fake?

The world seems upside-down today...

12. JaitcH
    Thumb Up

Even if Apple declines a comment, birds can ...

by doing a dump all over the statue.

Most fitting.

13. Stevie

Bah!

It seems of late that the Register has the same relationship with Apple that the New Musical Express had with Jethro Tull in the mid to late 70s.

Though not a fan of all things Apple (quite the reverse when it comes to certain specific examples of Appletat) I am forced to remember how that ended, and which one outlasted the other.

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Re: Bah!

> I am forced to remember how that ended, and which one outlasted the other.

Are you from the future, or something?

http://www.nme.com/

http://jethrotull.com/

1. Stevie

That isn't the real NME. The real one kept fish'n'chips warm and had Charles Shaar Murray in it.

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

> That isn't the real NME.

If so, that isn't the real Jethro Tull either.

14. Charles Manning

If it was a bit smaller....

They could make it into a $10 PEZ dispenser. Sell millions of them at Apple Stores.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Childcatcher

As a Bay Area resident, I am profoundly glad that statue was a hoax....

Its ten miles of bad road ugly, and the placement and orientation of the "1" would have inevitably ended with some poor local fraternity/sorority pledge having to felate the statue as a rush week prank.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like