back to article Moon flashes Earth after getting pounding from MASSIVE meteorite

Scientists have reported spotting the biggest meteorite impact ever seen on the Moon's surface – after a 400kg (900lb) rock slammed into the lunar regolith at an estimated 17km/s, leaving a crater about 50 metres wide. Youtube Video The impact was seen on September 11 by the Moon Impacts Detection and Analysis System (MIDAS) …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pomgolian

I for one, welcome our drunk driving alien overlords.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yeah, you have to be bloody careful if you've been on the Pan-Galactic Gargle Blasters.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Alien

@Hadvar

Turns out it was a whale instead of a meteorite. Coincidentally SETI simultaneously picked up a transmission that simply said "Not again!", but the transmission was too short to confirm an extraterrestrial origin.

2. Mark 85

Logos

At first, I thought someone had painted logos on the lunar surface. I got to get my glasses checked.

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Gimp

Yeah

Big boom on Moon on 9/11...

Surprise meteor over Russia just when everybody is looking at another space rock...

I think someone up there is trolling and I'm not sure what to think about it.

Next a Jupiter's moon will be gone missing.

4. Palf

And this is why moonshine can be dangerous

5. Hadrian

This moon was brought to you by Enterprise Corporate Logos-"Я"-Us .com

If anyone still hasn't noticed after watching the video several times and wondering what the *&^% they are supposed to be looking at, the impact can be found in the lower left of the screen.

1. Martin Gregorie

Re: This moon was brought to you by Enterprise Corporate Logos-"Я"-Us .com

...and the flash would have been a damn sight easier to spot if the moon had been logo-free and a nice, even grey colour. We wouldn't even have needed that nice, light blue arrow to show us where to look. Mind, it would have been even better if the flash hadn't been carefully placed under the video control panel which, in my case, didn't disappear until I hit replay.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: This moon was brought to you by Enterprise Corporate Logos-"Я"-Us .com

Yup - gotta wait for that Upipe scrub bar to hide itself.

6. Graham Marsden
    Thumb Up

Looks like a fish...

... moves like a fish...

... steers like a cow!

7. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    Coat

Did the Moon just moon the whole of the Earth?

It brings a whole new meaning to the Earth/Moon system.

flasher mac -------------------->

8. Ketlan
    Unhappy

Wow

What a shame it took over five months for it to be reported.

1. bleepbleep1961

Re: Wow

Really !!

Let's hope we hear about it faster if it involves our planet !!

9. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Mycroft!

It wasn't us!

Now put down the rock and step away from the launcher...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Question for the astronomers and rocket scientists out there

If this thing fell to Earth instead, how much of it would be left after the atmosphere did its best to burn it up? Would it hit intact, or would it blow up in the air like that one over Russia?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like