back to article Zuckerberg tops the list of most generous Americans with billion-dollar gift

Last year Mark Zuckerberg and his wife topped the list of the most philanthropic Americans thanks to a donation of $992.2m to the Silicon Valley Community Foundation. You might have thought that Bill Gates would top such a list, considering the billions he has ploughed into his own charitable foundation, but this year Big Bill …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He is no Robin Hood, he fleeced investors and gave away their money. I wonder how many teacher retirements funds and schools invested either directly or indirectly into Facebook and lost money?

2. Charles Manning

How do you measure generosity?

Perhaps % of disposable income would be a better measure?

It takes a really generous person to give $20 if they're earning $2000 per month and have $100 disposable income after they've paid their bills. You need to choose to give charity or buy a new pair of socks this months.

3. jake Silver badge

All on paper.

Try selling those shares ... and watch the share-price plummet.

4. Chris Miller

What gives?

Helping your (relatively) poorer neighbours may be all very commendable, but there surely aren't many children in Los Gatos dying from malaria or inadequate sanitation.

5. Mad Mike

So what?

I have to admit, I thought so what when I read this. Whilst all charitable giving is good, why should they get particular credit for giving away what they will never miss? Let's be honest here. These guys are not giving away sums of money that will change their lives or mean they have to change how they live. Compare this to people who make a decision to give a fixed percentage (say 10% is common) of their income to charity? In most cases, they make lifestyle choices to be able to do this. I would say they require far more credit for that. Also, look who he's giving it to. I can think of far better targets for the money.

A persons philanthropy should be measured not absolutely, but relative to them and their income/assets etc. On that basis, The Zuckerbergs would slide massively down the rankings.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Define charity spectrum

When your giving is confined to programs of social engineering that reflect your political views, especially when the money is used to marginalize recognized experts in the field, how charitable is that?

7. promytius

the Silicon Valley Fund

I was unaware there was a critical increase in poor, homeless, uninsured, unemployed people in the Silicon Valley! I'm sure that will help sustain the median income in the area; after all, those poor, poor dweebs suffering in the California heat, in their AC BMWs, AC glass towers, and AC mansions on the hills must truly be hurting for sustenance, support, and of course and extra billion will come in very handy for them - I am SURE IT WILL SAVE LIVES.

GOD BLESS THEM - oh wait, there is no GOd....

and there is no charity in dumping a tax write-off in the S Valley!

What a .... I'm sorry, I do not want to get deleted, so form your own opinion. Just as an example of just one small alternative place it might have gone; I know a guy who lives on his social security payments alone, can't find work, can't sell his tiny house, spends $350 in savings each month to pay his bills, and has run out of savings and will walk away from his house this year to keep from starving.

I'm just saying - of all the stupid, moronic, self-serving places to dump a write-off, S. Valley is just about the biggest insulting slap in the face of humanity I can think of; no wait, I guess he could have just given to the politicians - now there's a REAL WASTE!

8. Zmodem

he can paypal me some moniez, facebook pages only get updated and new features added when i bother to use it

9. b166er

Applause

10. I am a machine (says Turing test)

Silicon Valley Community Foundation only?

Really? No money for the Beverly Hills Wine&Dine Foundation and the Montecarlo Yachting Community Club?

This topic is closed for new posts.