back to article Chin up, BlackBerry. We know who still loves you: The cuddly Pentagon

Ailing BlackBerry has received a new vote of confidence from the US Department of Defense, which has reaffirmed its commitment to the Canadian firm's platform for a major mobile communications initiative due to launch this year. According to a press release issued by the DoD's Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA) last …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

At last

They can hold their heads high again and get back to being successful again. I wish them success in what they do. Go for it Blackberry. I prefer their devices over the others out there. My choice. I value my privacy. Perhaps it is time for a 10” tablet running Blackberry 10 OS.

1. Anomalous Cowturd
      Unhappy

Re: At last

Or the OS 10 update for the Playbook, which they dangled in front of our noses, carrot stylee, then snatched away, after hooking us in with their lies.

It's a lovely piece of kit all the same.

Sniff. :o(

2. Mark 85

Will they remain locked down? Or will they have a new and improved backdoor so the employees and military types can be monitored? I'm thinking Manning and a few others here and the lesson the government has learned about "unsupervised" access.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

it seems surprising that blackberry's salvation will come not in the form of a viable competitor to iOS and Android, or even from their messenger offerings, but rather because blackberry is the only actually secure mobile OS.

1. Christian Berger

I wouldn't be so sure about that

Sure they put in a lot of effort to make it appear like a secure system. However your mail still needs to go through a backend server running with high privileges. It did have security critical bugs in the past, and since it needs to decode all e-mail it's likely it will have them again in the future.

Blackberry's chance would be to open up their protocols so others could also write backend servers, and ideally to provide a greatly simplified open source version of their operating system. The Pentagon might in fact have both internally.

So currently I wouldn't trust Blackberry from a security standpoint, particularly since they had an issue with sending IMAP and POP3 passwords to a server in Canada.

4. David Goadby

Not enough

Surely this business, although very welcome, is not enough to save Blackberry in it's current loss-making state?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like