back to article Intel makes gesture recognition push with RealSense launch

Intel has launched a series of cameras aimed at spearheading growth and development in the gesture and movement recognition fields. The company said that its RealSense 3D cameras would add a depth-sensing component to traditional 2D camera hardware. The change will allow the device to process and track a third dimension when …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Turtle

Push Push Push.

"With Chipzilla in the market, PC users could now also see a major push towards gesture controls and recognition as vendors push software developers to take advantage of the new hardware features."

If they think that they're going to achieve any success in pushing me then they're going to be sorely disappointed.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Push Push Push.

Perhaps these free-space gesture systems work better for some tasks than others. At the very least, even just enough functionality to allow users to put down their mouse periodically might help reduce RSI. (And from what I've read of reviews of the similar-ish LeapMotion device, the converse is true; it can also be tiring to use gestures for extended periods too, but at least it is using different muscles)

Personally, as a (Mechanical) CAD user, I'm waiting with interest to see if anyone develops a natural control 'grammer' for these 3D human input devices. Even on the 2D tasks, I'm impressed by how civilised the UI of some CAD packages are (they let the *user* choose to use keyboard shortcuts, customisable toolbars, 'Ribbon'-like menus or pie menus, in addition to providing the resources needed to let strange peripherals like the SpacePilot work with them).

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't like the whole gesture market

To me, gestures are too much like a solution looking for a problem.

There's only one gesture this deserves IMHO...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

incoming

Another shit interface from MS.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: incoming

Intel are not Microsoft.

Intel are looking to make the hardware more common, so it is up to developers to support it and create interfaces, if they feel it is suitable for the task in hand.

Also, it can function as a 3D scanner (though more details about resolution and limitations etc would be welcome)

I would imagine it might be a tad early to write off the whole concept, since software developers have barely got started on it.

2. seansaysthis

Re: incoming

Intel arent MS even if they have been closely associated in the past. the difference here i would imagine is that Intel will provide APIs for anyone to build applications on top of. The interface will depend on the app developers. Also the Konnect works pretty well and that's an MS device.

Keyboards aren't natural so there is a movement to design a more natural interface for computers. they are a tool and tools evolve.A lot of people slagged off the Kinnect but I was quite impressed with it. My non geek friends love it. Same for the WII , the interfaces were so much more intuitive for the novice. When your 70 year old mother and 8 year old daughter can enjoy a computer game in three minutes of getting their hands on the device thats what this is about. We've moved on from the all people need to be mechanics to drive cars phase to all people can drive cars but we only need mechanics to service them model.

Also if they manage to crack using this technology to replace pin numbers and passwords securely I'll be delighted. Yes i know there are password managers but its still a pain in the ass and not very secure.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like