back to article F-Secure won't speak at imperialist lackey RSA's 2014 conference

Fallout from the allegation that RSA helped the NSA undermine crytpography standards is spreading, with Finnish security vendor F-Secure uninviting itself from the 2014 edition of RSA's eponymous conference. The reason, says F-Secure's chief research officer Mikko Hypponen, is that RSA is an imperialist running dog. His …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. W. Anderson

RSA acquisescense to NSA

The response to Mikko Hypponen's comment from RSA and other "American" security firms is not surprising given the long standing negative attitudes held by most Americans toward all other peoples of this earth, and for which the USA feels "superior", even in their declaration of "American exceptionlism".

No authority in the USA has been closely or strongly questioned on, or have voluntarily submitted any reasoning of NSA spying on personal communications of Heads of States (Presidents Prime Ministers or Premiers) of other close ally, "democratic" counties as a viable or rational tactic in fighting International terrorism. Many of the technology professionals and others in technology and various type firms and organizations - large and small, suspect that such vile practices are for purposed of industrial and diplomatic espionage. (sic)

While it would show a collective act of integrity and backbone for most of the other security firms -particularly the arrogantly proud Americans to boycott the RSA event, it probably will not happen, especially as noted by Mr Hypponen of their "multi-billion dollar" status, which is the most revered and respected materialistic and capitalistic quality in this society.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: RSA acquisescense to NSA

Mr. Anderson,

Please stop protesting so much, I fear you MUST have something to hide. Few are as arrogant as a European who thinks they have the USA or one of it's companies by the balls. So called European integrity is quite self evident throughout history. You know quite well what I mean so please stuff your moral outrage and indignance up your arse and follow it with your head.

If you take off the anti american blinders you wear, you will find that the practices of the NSA are indistinguishable from those of any British or European security agency.

1. W. Anderson

It is noted that "anonymous coward" criticism of my comments completely neglected reference to NSA spying on governments, businesses, citizens (including cildren) and Heads of State of "close ally, democratic countries" of Mexico, Brazil , Indonesia and several other "non-European" countries, for which no one in the US administration has justified the NSA spying in regard the anti-terrorist program.

Does President Obama think that the President of Mexico is engaged in or supporting anti-terrorism? Or could this spying benefit USA in diplomatic and more probably industrial espionage?

Exactly what is “exceptional” about the USA in regard to any and all other countries on this planet, other than military might and technological spying abilities, that would make the President, most members of Congress, Christian religious leaders and “flag waving Patriots” constantly use term of “American exceptionalism”. Is it the education system (sic), per-capita murder rate, percentage of citizens incarcerated in federal and state prisons, the highest credit card debt combined with lowest saving rate of any industrialized country? What about childhood diabetes, or recent report from US/International social scientists that showed “adult” Americans scored substantially below their peers in other developed nations in Math, Reading and comprehension as well as Problem Solving/Analytical Skills, even for non-complicated issues? Please explain anonymous,

The mere fact that defenders of this crass NSA spying do not respond honestly and cogently or factually by always making reference to Europe, Russia, Cuba, Venezuela or some other so-called enemy or theoretical threat to the USA well being confirms the severity of Paranoid Schizophrenia that is manifest in the national mentality.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Mr. Anderson,

By now, you should understand that all governments trust no one so they spy on everyone they can for the simple reason that it is possible. The beauty of applying the phrase "terrorism" to spying is that anyone you choose can fit the definition. Yes, I believe that all government members in Mexico are corrupt and bought and paid for by the Drug Cartels... If I did not, I would be naive.

None of the countries that you mention are allies of the US, many of their wealthy businessmen and politicians are involved in illegal or corrupt activities particularly Mexico.

I am NOT defending the NSA which I believe overreached its legal authority. However, if I were President, I would have them do the same thing as they have done, in the post Snowden period I would have probably told them to be more careful about getting caught.

Applying statistics and comparing the USA's education system etc. to those of shoebox countries like those in Europe is disingenuous to be polite. It's alot more honest comparison between a European country to one of our States as the number of people are certainly closer.

In your countries you take 80% of wages to support "the poor", we don't. In my opinion, 50% of the so called poor deliberately don't try to better themselves and thus will never get out of the cycle.

Exceptionalism, American or otherwise, is when you pull yourself up by the bootstraps and make something of yourself. You might consider that your practice of "carrying" people prevents them from learning to walk on their own.

In the USA, we don't carry the whole population from cradle to grave like you do, we expect them to stand on their own two feet as harsh as that sounds to you.

We all know that you sanctimoneous, self serving, EU bastards "are better than we are" so stop wasting time talking about it. Yada, yada, yada, blah, blah, blah. Eff off please.

2. Turtle

@ W. Anderson

You're just a bigot, really.

(By the way, what happened to the fact that GCHQ has also been strongly implicated by Snowden?)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

speeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeling? or are you trying to avoid teh skannerz?

3. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

This thread probably will go sideways fast. So - just this once - instead of shovelling coal on the flames let me just say this:

Happy holidays everyone. I hope you all have a great time.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's Happy Christmas! Not Happy Holidays, may I kindly remind you we are not the USofA who pretend that State and Religion are separate and spout this nonsense.

And before people think I'm from the Daily Mail. I'm an atheist but still like Christmas, Eid, Diwali and any other excuse for a nice time with other people. Just say what it is and stop being so bloody PC.

1. Elmer Phud

Chickens & Eggs

"It's Happy Christmas! Not Happy Holidays,"

For those of us who may not be of the Abrahamic strain (or even some who are) Christmas is a pretty new invention.

New Year's day has just passed.

Me first to the reindeer piss!

2. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

I'm Canadian, so separation of church and state is a thing. I'm also a Gaian (Solstice is my holiday), my Wife's an atheist (Festivus), my Dad's a protestant (Christmas) and there's at least two Quanzas, a Ramadan and a half dozen Hanukkahs in my circle of friends this year as well.

3. CheesyTheClown

Why does it matter?

I always liked happy holiday since it covers Christmas and New Years in one shot. Didn't realize logic and laziness is an issue for you guys. :)

1. pepper

Re: Why does it matter?

Quite so Cheesy, I always figured that's why it caught on, also because it actually are holidays for many people and I sure enjoy being reminded of that!

2. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

We have to be a bit more intelligent here. What was subverted (random generator) was already flagged as a bad apple a couple of years back, and discarded for serious use. What we learned now is that that lack of quality was no accident which creates integrity questions for the company in question, but it does validate the idea of publicly exposed crypto that needs nothing but follow Kerckhoff's principle.

In this context hides a bit of irony: AES256 itself is pretty much OK, possible because it wasn't actually "A" to start with, but Belgian (it was originally called Rijndaal). :)

instead of shovelling coal on the flames

Good heavens, Trevor, are you ill? :) :)

Happy holidays everyone. I hope you all have a great time.

Same here. Ho ho ho :)

4. taxman
    Big Brother

I don't think so

Will all this hoo-ha about RSA and the NSA result in Governments worldwide stop using RSA devices and put them under the same micrscope as those from Huawei?

See title

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Most of your speakers are american anyway – why would they care about surveillance that’s not targeted at them..."

I was behind this guy until here, but this kind of thing pisses me off. I'm an American, and not only am I suspicious of anyone who says, "Oh, we only break the rules for OTHER people", I don't *care* if it's 'only' other people for whom the rules are broken: I want the NSA to abide by the law for everyone, not just US citizens. To imply that I don't care about anyone else in the world, just because I'm American, is both absurd and insulting.

I'm sick to death of being personally judged based on (generally) Europeans' experience of the far right 10% of our population. I don't judge France based on National Front members, or the UK based on BNP and UKIP members, or Italy based on the dimwits and thugs who threw bananas at a government minister because she's black. So don't judge me based on the loud, clueless invective of my own country's know-nothings.

None of us are perfect, either as nations or individuals, but this kind of bullsh*t stereotyping and jingoism is wrong and helps nobody.

1. Vic

I'm sick to death of being personally judged based on (generally) Europeans' experience of the far right 10% of our population. I don't judge France based on National Front members, or the UK based on BNP and UKIP members

The problem you've got is that the National Front / BNP / UKIP aren't in any sort of power. The far-right 10% of Americans we all object to is the bunch with the de facto power, even if not the de jure power...

Vic.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The problem you've got is that the Tory's do have the power. And before that Blair/Brown/Mandelson/Johnson/Blunkett - for whom the Miliband's did so much work. And that lying tart with the big tits who's husband liked a shandy. The point not really being judged as a xenophobe, but being judged based on nothing.

Took me ages to meet a Septic who didn't get irony. He's a software writer btw. Ironically half the time I'm not sure I get irony.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Unhappy

"I'm sick to death of being personally judged based on (generally) Europeans' experience of the far right 10% of our population. I don't judge France based on National Front members, or the UK based on BNP and UKIP members, or Italy based on the dimwits and thugs who threw bananas at a government minister because she's black."

Except that that that 10% SEL seem to be in power.

And if they are just 10% of "The People" then I guess that's because the other 90% let them.

That would be you.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

10% nationally? Not so sure

It takes a very very very long time and quite a few miles to cover until you can really say: "I don't think we're in Kansas anymore".

6. Trollslayer

Childish

Talk about throwing toys out of the pram.

RSA have made clear statements which can be independently verified - has anyone done this?

1. stolen name

RE: Childish

I'm pretty sure the NSA have reviewed it and said there is nothing to worry about

7. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Coat

"imperialist running dog."

Did he really say that?

Mine's the one with a copy of the sayings of Chu ing Ginsberg in the pocket.

Seasons greetings/

8. DPepper

As an American, my hope is that several large countries enact laws forcing major U.S. technology companies such as Google, Yahoo, Microsoft and Apple to maintain the data of their citizens in-country. The cost to these companies would of course with be exorbitant. But in a country that's becoming more and more plutocratic by the day, the threat of significant economic losses targeted at some of the countries wealthiest companies may be the only way to get both Congress and the president to enact real reforms on the NSA.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"several large countries enact laws forcing major U.S. technology companies such as Google, Yahoo, Microsoft and Apple to maintain the data of their citizens in-country."

Except that as USAian companies they are still subject to the Patriot Act which means any data they hold, no matter where in the world, is subject to USAian law and scrutiny.

That leaves MS et al to choose which laws to obey or to GTF out of those countries.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Except that as USA companies they are still subject to the Patriot Act which means any data they hold, no matter where in the world, is subject to USA law and scrutiny.

.. which, annoyingly, may force them to break laws elsewhere. That's why we develop global privacy strategies for companies (rule 1: do NOT have your HQ in the USA) - it's a complex topic, but there are ways in which you can clean it up to a point where you can protect information properly, and legally so.

It's not just the USA PATRIOT Act, there are in total 5 laws that make it impossible for any US company to credibly claim they can protect information from random government mandated access without any semblance of probable cause or due process. The current spate of proposed "privacy" laws are just a smoke screen as they do not override the federal laws that are actually the problem.

It is an entertaining irony that the very laws that were instigated to breach the rights to privacy of innocent people are now harming the revenue from the very companies that sponsored their creation.

Karma is a b*tch...

9. Peter 39

new conference

RSA has now passed its best-before date.

I suggest that a new conference be created by another group that still has trust. Serious folks will go to that and RSA will be left to wither.

10. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

THE PATRIOT act trumps pretty much everything.

And while the USA has it pretty much everything else is bul***it

1. This post has been deleted by its author

11. Stevie
    Trollface

Bah!

Don't let the door hit you in the back as you leave, you clog-dancing fish-slappers.

This topic is closed for new posts.