back to article Anglo-Australian cricket brawl spills over into coding clash

The British publisher behind the game Ashes Cricket 2013 has pulled the product from sale and given up on further development, blaming the Australian developer it contracted to do the job for a buggy and unplayable product. Milton Keynes-headquartered 505 Games farmed out the job of developing the game to Melbourne-based …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. poopypants

Not really up to the task

Trickstar have tried to blame the game engine, but these developers didn't seem to have any problems using Unity. Seems the real reason for their failure is that those who were left after several walked out were out of their depth.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Not really up to the task

Unity is an entirely adequat engine, if not suitable really for AAA titles.

These are game logic bugs and look like something a 15-year-old hobby programmer would be ashamed of.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What do you expect

A game in which you're character is standing around waiting for something to happen while the bowler shines his ball on his balls.

Cricket just doesn't translate into a great computer game, unless you can add a few guns, swords, tanks explosions.

2. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Yeah...

Yeah, to me (from the video) it looked like the *game engine* was working well enough, but the game tuning and player behavior was incomplete. (I'd guess the falling over might have been due to excessively slick grass?) If it's as poopypants says, that some developers walked out, that plus not enough time for the remaining developers to "get up to speed" could really explain all these problems. edit: That said, I have not used Unity, so I can't say how easy or hard to use it actually is. From what I've heard, some game engines over the years were pretty hard to use (even if the results ended up being pretty nice.)

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Yeah...

Unity3D is specifically targeted as being easy to use, which is why indie teams use it so much.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's a cricket game

It's supposed to be lame

1. Bitbeisser
      Devil

Re: It's a cricket game

Right, cricket is wicked.... <BFG>

4. Gray Ham Bronze badge

Maybe go back to the game engine we used to use for classroom cricket (an HB pencil with parts of the paint shaved off and appropriate numbers, etc written in to provide random results). Graphics were non-existent, results were horribly skewed, but you could get through a whole test match innings in a boring geography class.

</grumpy old git>

1. dan1980

Re: pencil cricket

Elaborate, please - I'd welcome a use for the 2H* pencils I've accumulated. Beyond scoring lines in paper. Thinking on it I suspect you'd write 1-6 on each of the sides and roll to find the runs scored? How do you get out? Hmm... maybe 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, OUT! - yes, that would do it; no one runs five. Well, unless you bring Tuffers out of retirement.

Or I suppose you might toss the pencil and if it rolls of the desk, that's out. Would make sense.

* - I presume a 2H would work equally well?

1. Don Dumb
        Boffin

" no one runs five."

Actually, it does happen. The batsmen run 1 and the fielding team mess up the return throw so badly (usually aiming for the stumps) that the ball goes over the rope for extra 4 overthrows, 5 runs to the ball bowled.

1. dan1980

Hence the Phil Tuffnel reference.

5. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Coat

Howzat!!!

For a lame game?

Sorry, I'll get me coat. The one with Wisden in the pocket please

6. OzBob
    Coat

The BBC News website describes the game as "farcical"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25137093

Apparently the computer version is pretty shit too!

7. JDX Gold badge

Amazing

You don't get to see such a total shambles of a game get to full release that often. Memories of Elite and OS/2 Warp.

1. Gordon 10

Re: Amazing

I think you mean Frontier : Elite 2? Or which version of Elite are you refering to? afaik there was only 1 bug in Elite on the Beeb which mean the last Thargon hunting mission wouldnt end if you took them out with a smart bomb.

/<Elite and proud of it>

1. JDX Gold badge

I think you're right, it must have been F:E2 because it was launched to massive hype which must have meant it wasn't the first game.

1. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
          Facepalm

That game was released because the publishers were having cash flow problems, and Frontier sent them a pre-release version to show them what progress was being made on the game.

The publishers then went and published it........

2. dan1980
      Unhappy

"You don't get to see such a total shambles of a game get to full release that often."

Indeed - last time I paid good money for such a shambolic effort at cricket was the first day in Adelaide, 2010.

1. Gazareth

"You don't get to see such a total shambles of a game get to full release that often."

Aliens: Colonial Marines; this very year. Utter toss it was.

8. Don Dumb
    WTF?

What is the job of the publisher?

So 505 Games declares that the developer messed up, but why did they release the game at all? They retracted the game so quickly that they obviously knew it wasn't up to much. 505 Games are as much to blame trying to sell a game they *knew* was not worthy of release. Were they really just hoping the game wouldn't get that bad a reception that they could get away with some sales?

I notice on Metacritic that there are no critic reviews - usually a sign that they hadn't given pre-release copies to the media as the publisher knows its terrible and doesn't want bad reviews before it is released.

Regardless of how bad the developers are, it should be the job of the publisher of deciding whether it is ready for release or not, they have failed in their job.

1. Gordon 10

Re: What is the job of the publisher?

agreed 505 are at fault here for deliberately releasing a crap game in a cynical attempt to recoup some of their costs. Either they didnt have testing cycles and a QA process or they did and ignored the results.

2. Malcolm 1

I suspect they thought they could make a few quid without anyone getting too upset, but from the tone of the apology it would sound like their licensors were not overimpressed with that strategy.

3. The Dark Lord

I'm guessing the publisher released it after an argument with the developers. Now they're having a discussion along the lines of "See? Everyone hates it. We told you it was shit!"

9. Anonymous Coward 101

Looks like...

...Big Rigs Racing in terms of the incompetence involved. Except this is a game for a major sporting event and so should at least have been okay. Utter disaster.

10. Fading
    Coat

Probably better than

Aliens: Colonial Marines......

11. Fuzz

Brian Lara

Played codemasters Brian Lara cricket (I think also called Graham Gooch cricket) for years on megadrive, playstation and xbox. I was looking forward to this game coming out but it's been clear for a while it wasn't going to happen. Everyone though it would be released in time for the England 2013 Ashes, then it was put back to the Australian series and now it's dead.

There is one more waiting in the wings, Don Bradman cricket lets hope that resolves to a playable cricket game, otherwise I'm going to be breaking out the megadrive emulator.

12. Elmer Phud

Still waiting

Eagerly anticipating the release of Pigeon Racing 3

13. JDX Gold badge

No decent cricket games at all?

You'd think the Wii or Kinect would allow a fairly decent gaming experience on the batting side of things.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"The return bout commenced last week with Australia unexpectedly lathering England to take a one-nil lead".

Well perhaps some strange things happen in the dressing room these days, but I find it tricky to believe that the Australian team, covered the England team in soapy suds at any point during the test match. Perhaps Mitchell Johnson approaching Jonathan Trott with a bucket, sponge and some fairy liquid is the root cause of his stress related illness. Understandable.

15. countd
    Thumb Up

This looks like a pretty accurate depiction to me. At least, going on this footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5pQLIlJfnw

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Great...

Clip!

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Unity Developer Here

Unity3D is definitely up to the job, and it's a shame the programmers were forced to blame the shambles of a game on the tool they were using. If key developers really did walk out during production, surely it would be better to tell the truth, as I for one have plenty of sympathy for anyone left in that position.

That said it gets my vote in terms of the almost slapstick nature of the AI. I really did lol!

17. OzBob

Did they include the Ian Chappell speciality in this game?

The under-arm delivery

http://youtu.be/UkQRERykq5M

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Did they include the Ian Chappell speciality in this game?

It's not legal anymore

This topic is closed for new posts.