back to article Exotic physics takes an arrow to the knee with new ATLAS results

Far from being the death of physics, the discovery of the Higgs boson in 2012 has set physics on a bunch of new searches – including how the Higgs decays. Because Standard Model physicists were confident that the Higgs would be found, decades' worth of work await to figure out what particles it would decay into. That decay …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. FrankAlphaXII
    Coat

I used to be an exotic dancer particle like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

Sorry, had to.

Mine's the one with Mehrunes' Razor in the pocket.

2. Steve Knox
    Coat

All Is Decay

What does it matter?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I guess Douglas Adams was wrong

Either that, or the universe is taking its sweet time being replaced by something more bizarre and inexplicable.

I guess the one hope that it becomes more interesting lies with quantum mechanics.

4. JohnMurray

"I guess the one hope that it becomes more interesting lies with quantum mechanics"

More interesting, or more incomprehensible?

1. dv

Well this is really quantum mechanics put to the extreme. So no hope here, actually:-)

5. Mystic Megabyte
    Headmaster

???

"perhpas one of the last redoubts for theorists"

It seems that your spell-checker has decayed.

6. Phil Atkin

I like that the photo illustrating the article ...

... looks like a Tardis zapping a Dalek ship. Sort of. If you haven't put your glasses on yet.

7. Joe_H
    WTF?

I'm confused.

"the Higgs boson could decay directly to bosons or fermions"

So Higgs bosons are supposed to give mass to everything, and they can decay into bosons and other stuff, but bosons have mass and therefore must contain Higgs bosons...

So where is the other stuff supposed to come from?

1. Chemist

Re: I'm confused.

"So Higgs bosons are supposed to give mass to everything, and they can decay into bosons and other stuff, but bosons have mass and therefore must contain Higgs bosons..."

It's the Higgs field that is supposed to give bosons mass. In QM the field should have a corresponding particle - the Higgs Boson

8. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

Is it just me?

Or do those transparent blue slabs look suspiciously like they represent the dimensional ratio 1:4:9?

THAT might make it a bit more interesting, eh?

9. The last doughnut
    Thumb Up

Super smashing great

This topic is closed for new posts.