back to article Happiness-challenged BlackBerry dumps CEO, gives up on sale

Thorsten Heins' brief reign at the top of BlackBerry (BB) all but ended today as the company formerly known as RIM dumped its chief exec and took down the "For Sale" sign outside its HQ. Heins was plonked into the hot seat in January 2011 replacing joint bosses Jim Balsillie and Mike Lazaridis as sales slumped, but he was …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. asdf

hmm

Time to bring in the asset strippers and wind down BB. It has been a good run but with no future and incompetent management, continuing operations will just allow said worthless management to eat up what money is left in the bank.

2. wolfetone Silver badge

Chen, don't let me down.

There are a lot of people, either here or elsewhere, waiting or even wanting BlackBerry's demise. God know's why, but they do. It's not as if the company have done anything to them, such as change their Maps application and stick Dublin Airport in some farmers field 100 miles away.

Not quoted in this article, but quoted on Reuters was John Chen who stated the following: "I'm doing this for the long term. I'm going to rebuild this company," said Chen, who said it would take six quarters to turn BlackBerry around. "I know we have enough ingredients to build a long-term sustainable business. I've done this before and seen the same movie before."

John is completely correct. They do indeed have the ingredients to build a sustainable long term business, and because of the way the company has been run before him coming on board, they need stability before they can grow. The BB10 OS is a brilliant operating system, and only the feckless and the people who haven't used it will label it useless.

Chen has a track record regarding the turn around of businesses, having done the same with Sybase. If I had some spare cash, I'd be buying shares in BlackBerry. Sometimes, as with everything in life, you sometimes have to reach the bottom before you can start to climb back up the ladder again.

1. asdf

Re: Chen, don't let me down.

So sayeth the Canuck. I wonder if you posted the same thing about Nortel in years past.

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Wonder no longer my good fellow, for I ner breathed a whisper in regards to Nortel.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Blackberry are dead in the mobile phone business water and sinking fast. There is no coming back from here.

Blackberry 10 devices are vastly over priced and have hardly any real applications. Windows Phone offers a cleaner and more efficient UI for business use - and is busy cleaning up in this space...

1. dogged

It's not a war, AC. Or a race. We all benefit from competition in the marketplace and I for one hope BB do turn it around.

Also, that kind of triumphalist idiocy makes you sound like a fandroid.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like