back to article The unsung heroes of the networking team: Who appreciates you?

With so much focus on virtual servers, next generation storage and even new-fangled private clouds, it's amazing how little attention is normally paid to the comms implications of all this stuff. Too often, the network infrastructure is relegated to the bottom of the pile when it comes to grabbing modernisation budget. But …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Combat Wombat
    Gimp

Nobody loves us....

Until something breaks...

Then they love us, in the same manner an abusive husband loves his wife...

With lots of yelling, screaming and occasionally violence

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nobody loves us....

Nobody loves a sales guy, until the sales go through! Stop crying, you get paid enough!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nobody loves us....

Until something breaks they break something...

There FTFY.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Appreciate?

What does that word "appreciate" mean? Is that something I should be getting in my place of employment? Can I order a replacement set online? Is it available in designer colors?

3. regnik

Funny how its always the networks fault till we prove it isn't.

1. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

Nah, network departments are just as good at playing ping-pong as everybody else.

4. WOOOOO

I've found the network guys seem able to baffle everyone that they are dealing incomprehensible magic whilst us ops guys are just doing the commodity stuff that anyone can do... However I'll side with networks guys as the apps guys are always getting smoke blown up their arse!

5. M. B.

Nothing...

,,,it's actually the opposite, everyone is connected to Cisco 2960x switches, gigabit to every desktop. From there uplinked to new stacks of 3850 carrying multiple 10GbE links back to the core, where users run train on the front end 1GbE ports of our NetApp filers. A funny thing happens between 3:30 and 5:00 every day as our engineering department tries to save all their drawings and assemblies and simulations. Some of those data sets are ~25GB :(

Should almost ask the networking guys to throttle everyone back to 100Mb.

6. dan1980

What's stressing my network?

It's all those people putting data over it.

There needs to be an uptight, frowny, everything-was-working-perfectly-until-you-came-along icon.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pah!

"...complain about the awful response of that new web application that was supposed to 'enhance their customer experience', who gets the call?"

The Helldesk that's who, and we're left being screamed up by callers because the network admin thinks that the best way to alleviate the painfully slow Exchange server is to throw another 24 cores at it when it only has 2 Gig of RAM.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like