back to article Anonymous hacked off with Singapore's menacing net rules plan

A hacktivist claiming to be part of Anonymous has backed a call by Google, Facebook and others to scrap proposed internet licensing rules in Singapore which have been described as state censorship by the back door. In a YouTube video, the figure argues that “no government has the right to deprive their citizens the freedom of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Singapore's government, which has been formed by the same party for over 50 years

Now there's ya problem!

Singapore, lovely on the outside, dictatorial to the core.

2. Oh Homer
    Black Helicopters

Ranks a lowly 149th on Press Freedom Index

And yet, strangely, ranks as the world's fifth least corrupt country by Transparency International.

Although apparently they've recently been having severe corruption problems involving pineapple tarts.

Personally I've always had my suspicions about pineapple tarts.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

not corrupt because....

MPs in Singapore are paid on average over a million dollars a year. It stops them being so focused on deals to line their own pockets....

4. malle-herbert
    Mushroom

Shouldn't that statement read :

“no government has the right to deprive their citizens from seeing ads and sending precious personal information to american companies”

5. nematoad Silver badge
    Big Brother

Given David Cameron's threats to bring the British press to heel over the Edward Snowden revelations, I'm sure that the government here will be watching developments in Singapore with interest.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

“no government has the right to deprive their citizens the freedom of information”

There is the problem, this an idealist, not a realist. I'm pretty happy that I don't know where the UK's submarine fleet is, I have no reason to know and revealing their location would be a potentially suicidally bad idea (for those on-board, at least). I'm pretty confident that most people would agree that this single point alone suggests that it's ok for a government to keep /some/ information from its people. The question is how much and where to draw the line and how to handle transparancy. Dealing with entrenched positions like "everyone should know everything about everything" seems to me to be the enemy of privacy, it's the position of an idealist and often an ironically intensely private person.

7. JaitcH

It's great that LEE, Kuan-Yew's legacy lis exposed for what it is - a dictatorship

LEE, Kuan-Yew was a dictator all his political life; his followers have carried on his line. Hard not to when the old fart keeps on sounding off, even though he has one foot in the grave..

Singapore has always censored news, gone are the days when it's censors ordered holes be cut in the International Herald Tribune for now, with web sites, news can be removed without leaving a gaping hole.

The Singapore Straits Times is simply a mouthpiece for the government as is the SP TV news channel. It's why antennae in SP point North to Jahore Bahru, Malaysia, where freedom is better, as are TV movies.

All domestic InterNet feeds are monitored 24/7; commercial InterNet users are supposed to have in place censorship software.

The NSA telephone monitoring system is ANTIQUATED compared to Singapore's system - they record conversations, too. They even delay call completion (you hear prolonged ringing which you can check using another phone) until a call is monitored.

To visitors Singapore appears idyllic, foreigner residents know different. And armies of smart Singaporeans support the feeling that all is not right by emigrating to the countries as my former wife did.

Singapore is where the NSA and GCHQ tap into the submarine fibre optic cables that link Asia to the world to the West. The SP government most likely, in it's warped fashion, most likely takes that as a sign from the West it's practices are condoned.

Sure, SP is a commercial success story but the price paid by SP citizens is great. Hell, SP even dug up it's graves so they could build more highrises. And what other country bans chewing gum and mandates shorter hair styles for men?

One area SP excels in is keeping crooked businessmen in line. Fines and banning is common and jail not so unusual. There will never be a Wall Street failure in SP, the penalties are too great. The Damons and Fred the Shreds of the West would be in Changi Prison.

I was having a Pho in SaiGon last year, when I overheard the familiar sing-song of the SP accent, with liberal use of la, the same manner as Canadians use Eh. I inquired how they were enjoying VietNam and one said the freedom to do what they wanted, in VN, was far greater than in Singapore!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021