back to article Barmy Army to get Wi-Fi to the seat for cricket's Ashes

Reg-reading Barmy Army members headed to Australia for the return Ashes* test cricket series will find a marvellous combination of cricket and technology await them during the series' fourth match, after the Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG) announced it will introduce WiFi to the seat. Details of exactly what is on offer, and how …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. RealFred

In 1882 Australia, then a lowly and rough-house colony, defeated the motherland England at cricket. Wags in Blighty published a fake death notice for English cricket, declaring its Ashes would be taken to Australia for burial. The idea caught on and the two nations have competed for The Ashes ever since.

And the Poms have been sooking about losing that game ever since

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I missed it, I missed the winning run, I missed the winning....

So much for watching last nights episode of Coronation Street.........

2. LarsG

The Aussies are still sore about losing......

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Barmy Army ?

Like in the Exploited fanclub ? I'm going to watch THAT game ! :D

5. Harvey Trowell
    Headmaster

Bootnote

I love cricket, me, and it's good to see it being defended, but I must say I'm not sure about the golf analogy. The only tournament I can think of that can end in a draw is the 3-day Ryder Cup, pretty much anything else will go to a playoff to find a winner, won't it? Not a golf expert, so happy to be corrected here.

1. Don Dumb

Re: Bootnote

@Harvey Trowell re:Bootnote

I believe you are correct. The Ryder Cup can be drawn but in that case the defending team keeps the cup so has sort of won anyway. Major golf tournaments last 4 days with an outright winner decided by playoffs if there are equal lowest scores after 72 holes.

However, I think that if the weather prevents a result then the trophies may be shared. Modern cricket isn't that dissimilar in that draws generally happen because the weather prevents 5 full days of cricket, you don't get many draws after 5 full days.

Golf isn't a bad analogy in that the duration is part of the brilliance. In many ways I don't try and defend the time that test match cricket takes because that is the point. In major golf you can have a great 18 holes but you have to keep that going for 54 more over the next three days with increasing pressure. Cricket is even better, you can play well for a period, but you have to keep playing well (or not screw up) for 5 days under massive pressure, more so in The Ashes. Things don't always happen, but when they do it's huge because it isn't guaranteed and can change so much. One moment can decide 5 days of efforts.

1. Tom 38
        Headmaster

Re: Bootnote

The Ryder Cup can be drawn but in that case the defending team keeps the cup so has sort of won anyway.

Almost all Test match series are played for a trophy ("The Ashes", "The Border-Gavaskar Trophy", "The Wisden Trophy", "The Pataudi Trophy" for Eng vs Aus, Aus vs Ind, Eng vi WI and Eng vs Ind respectively), and in all cases if the series ends in a draw, the holders retain the trophy.

If you consider a team golf tournament like the Ryder Cup, then the individual rubbers are akin to each cricket match in a series, and the tournament itself is akin to the series.

6. ukgnome
    Thumb Up

2 Things I love

Technology and Cricket

El Reg - I salute you, not many sites could combine both

1. Don Dumb

Re: 2 Things I love

@ukgnome

Seconded, I love cricket too, glad to see it get some airing on El Reg.

It was very pleasant to be out in the US recently. Often talking sport, it would seem that (real) football is getting quite big (perhaps it might not be so in more rural areas) but I did have fun explaining cricket. They were really interested but I did realise just how difficult it is to explain cricket but only in brief!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sport? In Australia?

Do the aussies still do sport? Sorry rephrase that, do the aussies do any sport well anymore? Nope.

1. FartingHippo
      Trollface

Re: Sport? In Australia?

As a long-suffering brit, I'd like to add the following to your astute comment:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Lovin' it :)

2. silent_count
      Happy

Sure we do! Its been over hundred years now, and no team from outside Australia has ever won the aussie rules grand final.

1. Pat Volk

Ah, but now theyre getting some talent from the GAA. Teams no, players yes. Still have to respect any game where they dribble an oblate spheroid...

8. Timpatco

Remember to keep your laughing gear in place for the first test

Also remember when the Olympic shine dims - you poms will be back to being the worlds easybeats....

9. OzBob

Priceless look,

Jennifer Lopez's expression while Freddy Flintoff tries to explain cricket to her. ("We play for 5 days, take meal breaks during each day and there is no guarantee of a result").

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like