back to article Apple brings iCloud bookmark sync to Windows

Apple today issued iOS 7, bringing with it the usual complaints of clogged networks and imperfect installs. But the company also slipped out a pair of browser plugins that bring the bookmark-synchronisation functions of its iCloud service to the Chrome and Firefox browsers. iCloud is baked into MacOS, so the extensions are …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iPod,iPad,iPhone

All updated without a hitch or too much of a wait.

Everything appears to work, though not as you'd expect so a bit of relearning will be required.

However, while some aspects are clever, some aspects are just plain ugly, especially the grey app folders on the phone. Not to mention the 'new' toy town icons....

Apple need to work on that. Quickly.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I tried to update my iPad as soon as ios7 was available at 6pm.

Tried a few times and it kept failing but figured it was due to server overload.

When I tried at around 9pm it worked fine.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

voice.of.moron

2. death&taxes

Eternally grateful for the insightful update. Thanks for taking the time....

2. SuperTim

Apple Chrome cloud bookmark sync?

Doesn't Chrome already sync bookmarks anyway? Mine does between my PC my media server and my phone already. I am confused....

1. Mike Bell

Re: Apple Chrome cloud bookmark sync?

Chrome to Chrome sync has been in place for a long time, using Google as an intermediary in the background.

The Apple ecosystem uses iCloud to sync a lot of things between Apple devices. This new facility allows you to sync Windows Chrome browser bookmarks with iOS or Mac Safari bookmarks. It requires Apple's iCloud Control panel to be installed on the Windows PC (which can also sync Outlook contacts, calendars, tasks, photos with iCloud equivalents). If you elect to sync iCloud bookmarks with Chrome, you are invited to install a companion Chrome plugin.

3. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
    Pirate

Scurvy-free curs sail t' seven seas with shiny Chrome and Firefox swag

And a happy Talk Like a Pirate day to you too.

It it really a year since the last one?

4. HornetBrad

IE syncing also

As well as Chrome and Firefox, it syncs IE bookmarks also.

In fact, this is the default upon installation of the colourful new update.

5. Andrew Hodgkinson
    Boffin

iCloud doesn't really work like that

iCloud isn't competing with DropBox because it's not the same service. It's about sync - full device consistency in as many areas as possible.

That includes apps. The iOS app model, which can be frustrating, is nonetheless closer to the likes of Palm than it is to a standard desktop like OS - your documents are per-app, app managed and the filesystem is invisible. Palm OS did that via a database, iOS does it via the sandbox, but the user sees a similar experience. It's the same idea as syncing music and video via iTunes and libraries rather than manually via files and folders. With iCloud integration, things like Pages, Numbers and Keynote, or even the humble TextEdit, can save files directly into the cloud, to be read and even live-updated - but by those apps and only those apps, or their equivalent, including web apps - on other devices / in browsers, without needing to navigate around a filesystem to discover stuff.

How well this works for large amounts of data (large numbers of files) remains to be seen. It seems very home user orientated presently (nothing wrong with that, but a definite limitation in style).

Trouble is most people are familiar with manually managed files/folders, especially if from a Windows background, so they complain and want and old-school file-like interface for this stuff. Somewhat ironically, though, Windows has itself been moving more and more to the managed model via its Libraries features and people were clamouring for something Palm-like in the Longhorn days, because of the rumoured WinFS, which would be database-style and not based around a traditional "confusing" file hierarchy.

So basically, people are just rambling on about stuff because it's fun to complain and don't realise whether they've got what they asked for or what it was they were ever asking for in the first place :-P

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like