back to article Privacy lawsuits: Will sueballs lobbed at US cloud services hit you where it HURTS?

Thinking of using US cloud services, outsourcing to a US-based provider or just leasing a piece of their cloud and concerned about lawsuits? Here's some food for thought. Privacy, of course, became the overarching concern of many after former US National Security Agency sysadmin Edward Snowden leaked documents about the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James 51

As long as managers get a pat on the back for putting things into the cloud and bear none of the risk, can't see this changing.

2. ecofeco Silver badge
    Pirate

Not just privacy...

..but fait accompli ownership of your data as well.

Can't happen, you say? Already has.

3. Terrence Bayrock
    Thumb Up

Good article

Well thought out & grist for conversations with your contracts/employeers.

4. Eguro
    Paris Hilton

Great article!

One thing I find confusing in all this privacy-lawsuit talk, if what exactly such a suit would hope to achieve.

Securing my data and getting it out of the hands of the foreign powers that be (most likely way too late now) would be my primary aim I guess.

But in what way would a business have to pay for sending my private info to incompatible zones?

Some monetary compensation? This is where you'll get the "but there's been no monetary harm" argument from some. So my question would wind up as: How much does it cost to violate the privacy of any one person? How is a privacy violation measured in terms of monetary harm?

Paris because that's how these topics make me feel sometimes

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

"What does one hope to achieve" is typically "don't share my data with third parties." That is how these lawsuits (and/or the settlements) usually go. As to "what is the privacy of one person worth in dollars"...nobody knows. As said in the article, this is minefield has yet to be cleared.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

.... shareholders ....

Nobody really cares if the NSA are slurping your customers data

But if you are an IT manager at a Brazillian oil company and you put all the data in a US cloud to save a few $.

Now mysteriously US Oil companies all seem to underbid you in contracts

Then your shareholders might want a bit of your bonus back

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like