back to article Yahoo! Comes! Clean! On! Global! Government! Data! Requests!

Yahoo! has joined such companies as Facebook, Google, Microsoft, and Twitter in pledging to release semiannual reports on how often it responds to requests from governments for information about its users. The first such report, published on Friday, summarizes data compiled from January 1 through June 30, 2013, and it shows …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. All names Taken

Informal and Formal

I suppose the declared figure is the Formal value.

But how many informal requests (ie covert requests bypassing formalities, protocols and procedures but probably/improbably following informal protocols and procedures?)

1. LarsG

Re: Informal and Formal

Yeah and the rest baby!

If you aren't the kind of person to wear a tinfoil hat now is the time to take stock and have a rethink.

2. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: Informal and Formal

But the main thing is that they are declaring the figures: total requests and total number of different user accounts named - helping to put into the public domain information about the scale of government activities.

Now the public debate can start to move the disclosure goal posts so that the data becomes more granular.

2. Dan Paul

And what about printing El Register's government data requests??????

I'm sure that the forums are a hotbed of Anarchist proliferation so how about coming clean and letting all of us enquiring minds know how many requests and from whom does the Register get????

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In! Before! Headline! Rage!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Works 4 me

I hope the spooks monitor all electronic communications as it's the best way to stop the crims and terrorists. I got nothing to hide, how about you?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Works 4 me

Interesting that you post that at AC... AC because I DO value my privacy.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Down vote for being a hypocrite AC.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Why AC, what do you have to hide? How come the government hides behind secrecy? What do they have to hide?

5. Britt Johnston
    Pirate

act local

Sounds proportionate, since YAHOO! has mostly US users.

Can we have one on behind a European firewall please?

You can call it EUHOO! if you want.

6. N2

Does it matter

And do we care, if NSA can access without consent then are these figures recorded or not & do/should we believe them anyway?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like