back to article WikiLeaks' Cablegate server touted on eBay for $3k-plus by Swedes

Whistleblowing website WikiLeaks has attacked a former ally after one of the servers used to host the infamous Cablegate material was put up for auction on eBay. The document-leaking operation – headed by Julian Assange™ – slammed Bahnhof, a Swedish internet service provider, for flogging the once-rented Dell Poweredge R410 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

U.S. specification DoD 5220.22-M

But what about ?

GCHQ Specification FA-1.L

Angle Grinder. For the Use Of. Graphic Card Destruction.

If there's still an intact graphic card then the data might still be on there!

1. Khaptain Silver badge
      Coat

Re: U.S. specification DoD 5220.22-M

If there's still an intact graphic card then the data might still be on there!

I presume that only data that had been displayed on the screen would still be on the video card..... unless it had one of those imaginative and mysterious prefetch queues.... where it might have been slurping data on the side......whilst the user was waiting for the screen to refresh......during a Wikileaks session.....

2. tom dial Silver badge

Re: U.S. specification DoD 5220.22-M

Methods a and b (degaussing) render many or most server disks unusable as it also erases the nonrwritable timing; method m (physical destruction) also destroys reusability. As for method d, I believe the DoD instruction (d/l version dated 1997) has been superseded. I seem to recall one that involved 7 overwrites, beginning with all zeroes and followed by all ones, then two pairs of a pattern and its complement, ending with a final overwrite of all zeroes. I think verification of each overwrite also was required. Each bit was changed at least four times, and it took a while on a disk of reasonable size.

Of course, since the disks contained top secret information, the real requirement would be to destroy the disks.

2. wowfood

Bahnhof did not seek permission to auction the WikiLeaks server or to use it for marketing purposes, or to send the proceeds to others.

How dare they sell their property and give the money to charity. Absolutely disgusting behavior!

1. Matt_payne666

Indeed, server space was rented not the physical machine... I'm sure that if, during the lease the server malfunctioned they wouldn't have minded being migrated to a brand new server...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'm actually at a loss why they deleted the information on the machine. Isn't Wikileaks sole raison d'etre the leaking of information? I mean, the name sort of gives it away, doesn't it?

I fear my irony meter has just gone off scale..

3. BristolBachelor Gold badge
    Coat

NSA

"The original information cannot be recreated, not even by NSA.”
    By why would they bother? They already have it on their internal wiki. I was going to use the joke icon, but it probably isn't a joke.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: NSA

"The original information cannot be recreated, not even by NSA.”

which is exactly what they want you to think! remember when they said that they we very concerned over international PAYG SIM cards (think MINT telecom was specifically mentioned) as since there was no account linked they were "untraceable" .... Al Quaeda believed this as another US officially unwisely let the cat out of the bag a year or so later saying that AQ were all using MINT SIMs so they knew exactly where they were from cell tower records!

4. 1Rafayal

I wonder if any shady government agencies will be buying this?

5. AndyJT
    Facepalm

Wikileaks, you are in a dream world, time to wake up.

As WOWFood says above (can't put it a more sarcastic way). How the hell can Wikileaks complain that the legit owner of the server wants to sell it.

What next? does Wikileaks believe they actually OWN the data they are leaking online???

6. Nick Ryan Silver badge

It could also be read another way, as a statement of fact rather than a complaint. In other words, distancing Wikileaks from Bahnhof's (marketing) actions.

7. Greg J Preece

Props to El Reg for referring to Chelsea Manning by her name, rather than other rags who have either added a million qualifiers to point out the ooh-err-missus transgender person, or simply refused to call her by her real name.

8. FrankAlphaXII

Just to let any Americans who might buy this thing know, its technically a Classified Information system as Classified Information (just leaking it doesn't kill the classification, it has to be properly declassified by relevant authority, in this case, the State Department's Consular Service or maybe USAID as the material was stolen from a PRT in Iraq) was introduced to it, and it will probably be seized by Customs upon entry. Doesn't matter if the data isn't there anymore, it was introduced, and some fragments may remain.

The UK may have similar restrictions. Since the documents didn't carry a NATO caveat, the rest of NATO is probably safe though.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

NATO caveat

The NATO marking on a document is somewhat different to the usual EYES caveats. Rather than meaning 'anyone with sufficient clearance from NATO countries can see this' it means that it is a NATO-accountable document, i.e. it has to be made available through NATO information systems. For some classes of documents, it means that it must also be produced in both official languages.

9. rob_leady

DoD wiping ?

There's no approved DoD mechanism to wipe drives that have held Top Secret information.

Physical destruction is the only way...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_erasure

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like