Argh! Make it stop!!! Pop-up ad keeps going forever :-(

This topic was created by Martin Budden .

1. Martin Budden Silver badge
    FAIL

Argh! Make it stop!!! Pop-up ad keeps going forever :-(

You have a big video pop-up advert which hides the Science page. It happens to be for an S4 but that's not an issue. It pops up on mouse-over of the smaller ad, and the cross-to-close is directly over the smaller ad: this means that when I close the big pop-up, the mouse is still over the smaller ad, so it pops up again, over and over, ad infinitum (pun intended). This is VERY ANNOYING. Even when I did manage to get the pop-up closed and gone eventually, the soundtrack was still playing, from nowhere, which was also VERY ANNOYING. I had to close the browser tab completely to make it stop.

It's one thing to maintain a necessary revenue stream, it's another thing to make the site unusable.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Argh! Make it stop!!! Pop-up ad keeps going forever :-(

Martin, the offending ad is served by Google AdSense in Australia. Ops will email you for more info so we can block it.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not seen any video pop-ups myself - forwarded to ops.

3. Martin Budden Silver badge
    Thumb Up

I have received an email from ops. "We do have ad policies that prohibit pop-ups and are strict on user-initiated overlays/expandables (and this ad breaks those policies) so I'm attempting to block this particular ad." This is great to hear, thanks very much for the feedback guys. I understand that it's impossible to vet every ad served by the ad provider and that sometimes a pop-up ad might sneak through: the important thing is that you have a sensible policy in place and that you are willing to take action to enforce it. Thanks!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon