back to article IBM lands spook data-sharing standard at Oz airports

The Australian Customs and Border Protection Service (ACBPS) has gone live with IBM-delivered passenger analytics which it says will help identify risky passengers before they enter Australia. In a rather coy canned statement, Big Blue says the system will check Passenger Name Records (PNRs) against “other relevant material” …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Thorne

Saw this on "The Family Guy"

http://www.whatevo.com/post/Airport-Security-Check-461BD9FFAE9FA452

2. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Passenger analytics Protecting the border

translation: If you criticize them, then the neo-feudal state security apparatus will harass you when your travel. Alex Jones is sounding more and more reasonable as time goes on ...

3. Pete 8
    Boffin

Is this an upgrade to

Hitlers tabulator?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_and_the_Holocaust#IBM_business_relations_with_the_Nazi_regime

4. channel extended
    Meh

Sharing and Caring

Does IBM store this data in the US where the good folks at NSA can find it?

1. Thorne

Re: Sharing and Caring

"Does IBM store this data in the US where the good folks at NSA can find it?"

NSA supply it.....

5. Chairo
    Big Brother

Very useful, indeed

This way it can be ensured, that any friend, distant relative or otherwise to Edward Snowden related person (or any person with a similar name like aforementioned dissidents innocents terrorists) is going to be caught if they should ever use Australia as a transit point.

6. Ross K Silver badge
    Devil

IBM - Helping Fascist Dictatorships Since The 1930s

If they could help the Nazis run their concentration camp trains on time, this should be a piece of cake for them.

7. William Boyle

Unintended consequences?

I'm sure this will turn out well... NOT! Given these analytic techniques have a propensity for generating false positives, I'm sure the program will be totally successful in pissing off a lot of perfectly legitimate travelers. Remember when something like this put the US President on the "No Fly List" (LOL): http://www.cynicmag.com/feature.aspx?articleid=1144\

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My personal opinion is we should all stop having kids, it will only be then that then aging non replaceable officals will have to look back and think where did they all go so wrong.

This is yet further disappointing news of how technology is being used for all the wrong reasons.

I am sorry but if we are living under threat, we need:

1. to understand the reasons we are living in this manner.

2. to sit around like grown ups and disucss our differences

3. not have wars for personal gains and resolute to above 2 points after personal gains have been achieved.

4. This specific system will probably cause alerts if your name is of a middle eastern origin, I can't see it alerting if your name is John Smith

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like