Carriage return pixies invading?

This topic was created by davidp231 .

1. davidp231

Carriage return pixies invading?

Has anybody else noticed that articles seem to have an unnecessary carriage return in them? I've checked random articles, including one from last year and the problem is there as well. It's not an author issue, and it's not a browser issue. Te only pattern I can see is that it appears to be the 3rd paragraph in every case. Have the CR pixies invaded?

The only other explaination I can think of is articles seem to be running through a BOFH/PFY style service that would easily do this kind of thing by default, to wind up management/beancounters.

1. diodesign Silver badge

Re: Carriage return pixies invading?

Hi.

Are you running an ad blocker, perchance? That par break is where an in-article ad should go.

C.

2. davidp231

Entirely possible that's the cause - I've recently done a rebuild and dangerously neglected to add El Reg to the whitelist. I was curious because I saw the same problem in IE, which has no such feature installed. Checking today it appears to be working normally there.

How odd - anyway it appears problem solved, so the CR pixies can live for another day...

3. diodesign Silver badge

If you run an ad blocker, you're gonna have a bad time, OK?

Yes, basically (and I've just tested this) if you run an ad blocker you will see a weird split in the 3rd par of stories. When I get a mo, I'll file this with our web team, but I suspect (given that our publication is funded by advertising) the bosses' preferred fix will be:

Don't run an ad blocker.

C.

1. davidp231
      Pint

Re: If you run an ad blocker, you're gonna have a bad time, OK?

Have made the necessary changes and it looks like everything's working properly now.

Virtual beer for your patience in dealing with my self created mistake.

1. diodesign Silver badge

Re: If you run an ad blocker, you're gonna have a bad time, OK?

No probs, thanks for reading :-)

C.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon