back to article No more Crapbook Air: Apple issues update for spotty Wi-Fi

Apple has quietly released an update to fix the problems which have affected wireless connections on the latest Macbook Air range. Users had been reporting "crippling" problems with their wireless connection. Theoretically, the inclusion of the new 802.11ac wireless networking standard in the new range of Macbook Airs should …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Joe Gurman

Anecdotal experience: the problem wasn't that bad

....for this one happy 2013 Air user, anyway, even before the patch. Score: WiFi access points 4, Air 3. My year-old Apple AirPort Express (naturally), the WiFi at a uni where I was at a conference all last week, and the free "high-speed Internet" WiFi at the hotel where I stayed were all fine. Spent two days at my sister's place in Maine (the US one) with an ancient DSL modem/router combo, and not so happy: leases would be dropped after 2 - 5 minutes.

Obviously that sample isn't large enough to yield any insight into the technical issue(s). The default log entries were spectacularly unhelpful, and I wasn't going to be in range of the suspect router long enough to warrant taking time away from a pitifully short holiday to get more detailed logs.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Anecdotal experience: the problem wasn't that bad

I was suffering from the same sort of problem with my 5ty old MB. Some places the connection was solid and back at home, it kept dropping after the system had been booted for a few days. In the end, I changed the WiFi router and all the lease issues went away.

As they say, there are two sides to every story. It might have been that the Air problem was that some of the radio settings were borderline for some access points.

Don't need one of these at the moment --->>>

2. Ragarath
    Coat

Spin?

an issue with Adobe Photoshop which may cause occasional screen flickering

No, no, no, an issue with MAC OS X not Photoshop surely? Or are they writing things for Adobe now?

Should they not have written this as "An issue with OSX when using Photoshop." maybe? Or am am reading into this more than I should?

I'll get my coat.

3. Joey

Ah, the 'fruity firm' again. Why use one word when two will do?

(Where do they get these people?)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"It just works".

Barely.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Least they fixed it!

2. MrXavia
      Holmes

Macbook air's have always had crap wifi...

I have a 2 year old macbook air, the wifi is crap on that!

Where my android phone pics up a signal my macbook can't...

I can sit watching a HD video on my phone being served from my NAS where my laptop can't connect!

My only reason for owning one is the tiny size...

5. rcorrect
    Meh

Took them long enough

I feel for anyone who had to endure with this issue, hopefully Apple's fix works. Then again it is best to wait a month or two before purchasing a new computer in case something like this surfaces.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like