back to article Regulator sniffs mobile services bods: 'Something's off. Hand me the probe'

UK premium rate regulator PhonepayPlus has launched an investigation into five mobile phone subscription services after it said that evidence had emerged that each had been marketed though ransomware-style browser lock-in tactics. Bafona Ltd’s Zovut subscription service, which costs £4.50 per week, is billed as a chance to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gordon Pryra

Service?

Why do people keep describing these kind of things as a service?

Service to who?

1. Soruk
      Mushroom

Re: Service?

It is service to you, in the same way a bull services a cow.

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Mushroom

Re: Service?

It is a service to the service owners bank account. It gets filled regularly.

I hate these texts offering you some form of 'service' (eg, PPI claims) you get where it costs YOU money to stop them coming. Anything that can be done to strangle them at birth, all the better as far as I'm concerned.

To all of them. -->

2. Mike Brown

who came up with the name

phonepayplus? its terrible. they sound like one of the companies they are ment to regulate. why arnt they called somthing easy like the premium rate regulator?

1. VinceH

Re: who came up with the name

Well, it's easier to remember than their previous name - or the acronym it formed, which sounded like some kind of skin condition.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like