back to article Cumulus sighting means storm coming for Cisco

Cumulus Networks has a cunning plan to change how companies buy, use, and manage networking equipment. It involves Linux, and any success the company has will come at the expense of incumbent networking giants such as Cisco, Juniper, and Brocade. The company came out of stealth on Wednesday at the data center infrastructure …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

OK I can see some benefit here..

But I think El-Reg should also do some research and publish some articles on what else is available in this field, rather than re-hash a press release. One particular unsung hero called Microtik springs to mind, they offer some amazing functionality at a fraction of the cost of Cisco and Brocade.. But I'd love to see some real life comparisons...

2. @jrcumulus

No rehash

El-Reg spent an hour with @jrcumulus yesterday asking insightful, well researched questions. Microtik is very cool as well, but different market.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: No rehash

What he said. I use Microtiks and what cumulus is up to is on a completely different scale. For that matter, I've built "roll your own" Linux based routers and switches since the before time. There's lots on the market that does this. Cumulus is the Open Compute of the networking world: it's designed for scale.

As for "real life comparisons" well, if any cumulus stuff (or higher end Microtik stuff, or both) ever wanders into my lab, I'll write a review. In the meantime, I'll keep building routers of of Supermicro boxen running CentOS with a realtime kernel. :)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I politely withdraw..

My criticism's, points well made :)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like