Who should play the next Doctor? Nominations needed!

This topic was created by diodesign .

1. diodesign Silver badge

Who should play the next Doctor? Nominations needed!

This Friday we'll hold a public poll on who ought to play the next Doctor Who. We've had a ton of suggestions already (John Hurt, Bill Nighy, Sean Pertwee, Philip Glenister, Paterson Joseph etc etc) - but you've all probably got loads more.

So fire away with your nominations, please, and we'll prep a poll for the end of the week.

C.

1. Dalek Dave

Re: Who should play the next Doctor? Nominations needed!

I think Johnny Lee Miller would be good.

And since it seems appropriate that he be played by someone British, how about Kiefer Sutherland?

Richard E Grant anyone?

However, and given that he has already 'played' the role, what of David Morrissey?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Richard Ayoade aka Moss the IT Crowd.

There's something meta about it.

Also as he wrote on his facebook page

Dear BBC,

I am writing to inform you that I am available to take over immediately as the next Doctor. I'll even bring my own sonic screwdriver (mine actually works).

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Maurice Moss.

1. Lloyd
        Megaphone

I'm with x20Mar (odd, that's my birthday), as soon as I read Richard Ayoade I said "hells yes", either that or Olivia Colman, she does scatty very well, but she's also got some serious acting chops.

3. mrcentimeters

I think that a good selection for the next doctor would be charlie mcdonnel. he is funny, and it would seem fairly easy going. just an idea

2. Jim Lewis

Professor Stephen Hawking

3. Huntsman

Stacey Solomon.

4. JDX Gold badge

Eddie Izzard

Based on The Riches he can actually act, not just be zany.

5. Sutekh
    Mushroom

Brian Blessed?

see title :)

1. Shrimpling

Re: Brian Blessed?

The assistant will have to be called Gordon... The rest writes itself.

6. Joseph Bryant

Hal from Being Human

Tovey is the wrong Being Human actor for the part - in fact it should be Damien Molony, aka Hal.

1. Slik Fandango
      Thumb Up

Re: Hal from Being Human

Agree 100% - when I first saw BH I thought Dr Who replacement!

7. wowfood

Noel Fielding

The guy would make a damn fine Doctor if you ask me.

8. CAPS LOCK

Ben Cumberbatch

Obviously.

1. Chris Harrison
      Thumb Down

Re: Ben Cumberbatch

Might as well save time and just stick with the current one.

1. Elmer Phud

Nah, Cumberbatch could have replaced the last two - easily.

1. JDX Gold badge

It's a bit "oh he's popular put him in".

2. auburnman

You'd have to have him basically be Sherlock though. Snapping at anyone near him and doing scathing put downs alongside the investigation. Would make a good change from the recent cheery/zany all the time. Do you think they could get Martin Freeman as an assistant as well, or is he still busy being a Hobbit?

9. Dr Scrum Master
    Holmes

Christopher Lee

Well, why not?

And it would break the trend of the actors getting younger as the character gets older...

Peter Cushing also had a go...

10. Justice
    Thumb Up

Hugh Laurie

He has sinister eyes. Darker Doctor required.

1. JDX Gold badge
      Joke

Re: Hugh Laurie

It would confuse the US audience why he has to do a British accent

2. Danny 4

the other one

Or for that matter Stephen Fry?

11. Richard Taylor 2

Richard Dawkins

He has the family connections.....

12. Big_Boomer Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Milton Jones

A whole season of one liners! And the hair!

13. sorry, what?
    Thumb Up

Who's Who

Freddie Highmore (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory/Arthur and the Invisibles)

Given the apparent reverse aging of the doctor at each regeneration I think it would be excellent to cast a young british actor. It's a bit Benjamin Button. And it fits nicely with the original statement of a limited number of regenerations!

14. g e
    Happy

Sean Pertwee

Just 'cos

Though he's likely too old for the yoof and probably doesn't want the gig.

Doesn't mean he shouldn't be, though...

There's also David Troughton (on the offspring basis) though Pertwee would make an excellent gritty badass Doctor.

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: Sean Pertwee as Doctor 3?

Possibly if you look at them as stories of the third doctor, will need to get curly hair though.

15. Scott Earle
    Thumb Up

I vote for ...

David Threlfall

1. g e
      Pint

Re: I vote for ...

PAAAARTYYYY!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I vote for ...

I've long thought that he'd be good. I'll vote for him.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Danny Dyer

17. Benebby
    Thumb Up

Bertie Carvel

See title

1. MattLoren

Re: Bertie Carvel

This would be great and would fit the profile nicely. Younger guy, excellent British actor...however he's already appeared in Dr. Who... in "The Lazarus Experiment"

Admittedly he was listed as "Mysterious Man" and we don't in anyway know who he was linked to and he just warns Martha that the doctor is dangerous and to watch out, so that's no showstopper.

He's currently up for a Tony award for his work on the broadway version of Matilda, which is proving massive over there.

18. Christoph
    Happy

John Cleese

See title

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Neil Gaiman

He can write Who and he looks the part. Directors have always specified there isn't much acting required, just be yourself.

20. wondermouse

Benedict Cumberbatch has just the right mix of brainy, quirky and otherworldliness.

21. i like crisps
    Thumb Up

Please, Please,Please...

Can something go horribly wrong with his regeneration this time round so that the Doctor

is turned into a talking Jack Russell...either that or Keith Lemon.

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: Please, Please,Please...

I don't think being a retired wicket keeper is a good qualification for a timelord, but then look at Doctor Vet (Tristan Farnon)

22. Frankee Llonnygog

Bill Nighy gets the William Hartnell vote

However, as the Doc is often in the thick of it, I'm voting for (swerves to avoid Peter Capaldi) Rebecca Front

1. Thomas 4

Re: Bill Nighy gets the William Hartnell vote

As someone that grew up with Hartnell, Troughton, et al, I heartily endorse this suggestion.

1. Wilseus
        Go

Re: Bill Nighy gets the William Hartnell vote

I agree. In fact I suggested him on the Reg ages ago :)

23. JonP

Rowan Atkinson

My money's on what's-her-face (the current assistant) becoming the doctor in another inexplicable episode, but I think Rowan Atkinson would be a good choice.

Heh, or Danny Dyer as someone above suggested. I'd love to see them pull that off successfully!

24. Thomas 4

First female Doctor

I'd actually like to see this. It'd be cool to see how he reacts to his new gender and whether it changes any aspects of his personality as a result.

Billie Piper - No. Too much storyline associated with the character.

Olivia Coleman - While she was great in Peep Show and Hot Fuzz, she doesn't really strike me as "Doctor" material.

Helen Mirren (?sp) - Now we're getting somewhere.

Alex Kingston - An ideal candidate....but too much storyline already associated with her.

I think it'd need to be a more mature actress, someone age 40 or older. A 20 or 30 something wouldn't really have the air of authority the Doctor needs.

1. Elmer Phud
      Alien

Re: First female Doctor

Callyerself Who fans?

There has been a female Doctor for a short time, a ginger one, and bloody good she was too.

2. Velv
      FAIL

"Alex Kingston - An ideal candidate....but too much storyline already associated with her."

Too much storyline!!!!! ffs, not to mention the ultimate in incest, "marrying" yourself!!!!!

I'm not convinced #12 should be female - it might be better to round off the regenerations with a male actor, then the escape from the limit is to become female so they can keep the series going.

1. VinceH

"I'm not convinced #12 should be female"

Quite. And nor should any subsequent regenerationed Doctors: Why the Doctor shouldn't regenerate into a female.

3. Danny 4

Kylie Minogue. Though she has been in one of the specials which could complicate things.

4. Munchausen's proxy
      Pint

Instead of dying / regenerating, perhaps the Doctor could just go on a little sabbatical, and his wife River could take over the doctoring for a year or two. That takes care of the storyline and avoids the icky questions and keeps Alex Kingston on the scene. Eventually, sadly, the Doctor regenerates off-screen for some hilariously-alluded-to reason, and River swaps roles again.

5. phuzz Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Tilda Swinton, she already looks a bit alien.

25. Frankee Llonnygog

Off topic ...

TFA refers to 'Our beloved commentards'

Reg leadership - any chance of an official Reg-branded 'Beloved commentard' tee-shirt?

26. GeorgeTuk

After last weeks accusations...

...they are bound to over compensate!

Any black lesbian midgets with a lefty tendency out there on the list?

In all honesty I have never watched an episode so I don't mind who they pick!

1. Trollslayer
      Thumb Down

Re: After last weeks accusations...

That says a lot about you and nothing about them.

27. Chris Harrison

Johnny Vegas

Obviously...

28. ran93r

Tom Hiddleston

He's probably a bit too big now, much like Cumberbatch but I think he would be pretty cool.

Also saw a suggestion somewhere for Noel Fielding who would be glorious (and freak out the kids).

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Jeremy Clarkson - it's time to take the Tardis for a proper spin.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Michael Habel
      Thumb Up

I know of only One proper way to respond to a Comment of that caliber...

HELL YES!!

3. Mips

Jeremy

Oooh No. He is just to stupid. Anyway he is older than me, so that's another reason.

30. PaulHac

Reginald D. Hunter

31. Trollslayer

Some interesting suggestioins

Johnny Vegas - very interesting, a good serious actor when it's needed and it would a different approach

Eddie Izzard - again serious when required and a different approach

It's a shame I can't see a way for Donna (Catherine Tate) to be worked in as the new Doctor - it's nothing to do with "it's time for a woman" but because she could rip the whole thing up - one minute head butting Cybermen, the next compassion to melt the heart of a Dalek. In many ways stronger than any of the Doctors so far.

Milton Jones - hmm... potential there but I haven't seem do any dramatic acting and would like to be surprised.

As for the Cummerbatch etc. suggestions - same old, same old.

Helen Mirren - see her in RED and you won't have any doubts.

Let's dare do something!

32. Cliff

Robert Carlyle

I mean, it is just so obvious! He would be an inspired bit of casting.

When do we get to vote, btw? Will the Reg stick a tenner on at the bookies for the winner?

1. Efros
      Pint

Re: Robert Carlyle

As the Begbie persona, glassing the Daleks and kicking the Cybermen in the stanes, well perhaps the ball bearings.

2. SmallYellowFuzzyDuck, how pweety!
      Pint

Re: Robert Carlyle

That's a pretty decent suggestion, how about we take it one step futher and suggest Tim Roth as well.

Tim Roth could play his Doctor Who in a similar style to his part in Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead to help culture it up a bit.

33. CowardlyLion

Thomas Sangster

Thomas Sangster was brilliant as a sort of mini-doctor in the Family of Blood episodes.

34. Whitter

Rufus Sewel

Always thought he would the part splendidly - and isn't doing much at the moment that I'm aware of.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Rufus Sewel

Sorry, I misread that as Brian Sewell, and thought you'd gone bonkers.

35. Paddy Fagan
    Happy

A little different -

* Colin Salmon (Bond movies & Arrow)

* Noel Clarke (was Mickey Smith in Dr. Who)

Paddy

36. Cowboy Bob
    Holmes

A Bit Left Field

Jim Burke - AKA Mr B The Gentleman Rhymer

Steampunk musician extraordinaire, the character's already there as is the costume

<--- 'Cos he smokes a pipe

1. AGR
      Thumb Up

Re: A Bit Left Field

All Hail the Chap!

37. Chris Harrison

For a scruffy beardy doctor how about ...

David Thewlis

38. cheveron

Idris Elba

Although he's probably too busy.

39. Argolis

My vote

Dylan Moran (Bernard from Black Books).

40. MJI Silver badge

I want a.

Complete unknown, someone good who we just have not heard of, who we see on TV and think that is the Doctor.

41. Code Monkey

Paterson Joseph

Paterson Joseph - with a scarf, bag of jelly babies and a smart lass in tow.

42. ukgnome

It should me me! Purely based on ...

1. I'm ginger

2. I already wear a waistcoat and pocket watch

3. A casual interest in technology

4. My Electronic Cigarette actually looks like a sonic screwdriver since I modified it.

43. Stevey

John Cooper Clarke

would be cool but I'm doubtful he could much of yer actual acting

Failing that an unknown face that can make the part his/her own - the more well known will bring too much baggage to the role.

44. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If Eadon was up for it he'd befriend all the Androids, avoid Apples and have the TARDIS Windows boarded up.

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

If Eadon...

If Eadon was up for it he'd befriend all the Androids, avoid Apples and have the TARDIS Windows boarded up.

@AC, we are looking at replacements for the Doctor, not his (or perhaps her) adversaries or companions. Just think how future episodes might go: we would soon learn that Cyberman OS was really Windows ME and that it was developed by the Daleks.

1. Code Monkey
        Black Helicopters

Re: If Eadon...

That would make sense. Have you ever seen Windows ME climbing stairs?

No, nor me.

45. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ben Miller.

Or maybe Chiwetel Ejiofor, playing it as he played the assassin in Serenity.

1. Velv

"Chiwetel Ejiofor, playing it as he played the assassin in Serenity."

Or Chiwetel Ejiofor, playing it as he did on Kinky Boots so the next Doctor can be truly female.

46. John Robson Silver badge

Someone unknown (or mostly)

It's a hugely taxing schedule, so a relative unknown is normally the best bet in terms of Dr. longevity.

If female (although I can't quite get my head round that) then Sue Perkins would probably carry it off well...

1. Stacy
      Thumb Up

Re: Someone unknown (or mostly)

I can't imagine how they would take the story line, but I love the idea of Sue Perkins! I had never thought about her until now...

47. Foose
    Trollface

In all seriousness I would like to give it a try

48. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

Peter Serafinowicz

<--- think about it.

49. Pen-y-gors

Ardal O'Hanlon

or Graham Norton? or Pauline McLynn?

50. justok

Wil Wheaton. Lots of planets have a former colony.

51. RobertD
    WTF?

Surely

The most entertaiing choice would be John McAfee?

1. Allan George Dyer
      Childcatcher

Re: Surely

But it's supposed to be a children's program!

2. MJI Silver badge

Re: Surely

Antivirus?

52. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

People I'd like to see have a go

I think it's time for an older Doctor again, so:

1. Jim Broadbent

2. Bill Nighy

3. Simon Callow (was Dickens in DW but what the hell)

4. Simon Russell Beale (not his style so far but maybe he could branch out)

5. Not personally in favour of a female doctor, but Imelda Staunton would give it a good go, or perhaps Ceila Imrie

6. Sanjiv Bhaskar (not sure how much serious acting he'd do, but it would be a good ride)

53. Elmer Phud

I can see no reason why Alex Kingston can't be the next Doctor.

It fits with the River Song story and she doesn't seem to fit in with time but dips in and out of it.

1. Annihilator
      Stop

"I can see no reason why Alex Kingston can't be the next Doctor."

Except that, a) she died at some point so would be the "last" doctor, and b) she's Rory & Amy's daughter, and c) she originally was planned to "kill" the doctor, which would have been the mother of all grandfather paradoxes. So would take some doing.

Same thing with Billie Piper/Catherine Tate/anyone-ever-in-Doc-Who (which I think people just like to nominate because they liked the character).

54. Richard Wharram

Daddy Pig

Obviously.

55. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rustie Lee

Just kidding.

56. Ian Johnston Silver badge

It's be some anorexic bloke with good cheekbones. Just like every other high profile role on the BBC. Who cares about acting ability?

57. Andrew Jones 2

Jason Issacs

58. reno79

A few suggestions from me:

For an older spin: Sir Ian McEllen or Sir Patrick Stewart. Either would satisfy the nerd in me. Oo-er missus.

however, as it's run by an increasingly younger target audience: how about James McAvoy?

Paterson Joseph, as much as I like him, has already been in two episodes of Who in the episodes towards the end of Eccleston's tenure on Satellite 5 (he was the other remaining contestant on the Weakest Link show). As much as Moffat and Davies like reusing cast it just wouldn't work.

59. graeme leggett Silver badge

Lack of predictability

The mainstream/majority opinion didn't pick Tennant nor Smith before they were announced. Why should this time be any different?

60. Big_Ted

Lets see now.......

I wonder if an American is more likely this time to aid in selling the series over there.

If thats the case then my choice would be Kevin Smith (Silent Bob), would deffinately be different.

If he's off the list then how about James Marsters (Spike, Buffy).....

61. Colin Critch
    Meh

Nick Frost

Nick Frost playing the doctor like in "Attack The Block"

62. gyre

Tulisa :)

If she's out of prison in time :)

1. Jedit Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Tulisa :)

"This year, the Doctor is doing Time"

63. work2fly

Guy Martin ?

1. Steven Raith
      Go

Guy Martin

He'd constantly be disappearing off the set only to be found two hours later under one of the on-location vans, stripping the gearbox, having overheard the driver moaning that the syncro on fourth was a bit flaky. Or drinking tea. And he'd insist on flying the tardis at a mental lean, scuffing his knees out the front door.

I really rather like the idea of Sean Pertwee - preferably in Sergeant Wells guise from Dog Soldiers.

"The only people who go looking for Daleks are Kamikazes, glory boys and full-on f*cking f*ckwits."

"Sausages!"

Etc.

Steven R

64. Atonnis
    Devil

Suggestions

Callum Blue - He seems fairly versatile, can do the moody look that the Doctor needs sometimes, and can be hilarious (as proven by Dead Like Me).

Hugh Laurie. His House delivery after his epic comedy career showed his capabilities. He'd likely draw in more Americans as well.

Amanda Tapping would make an interesting female doctor.

65. gaz 7
    Megaphone

Can't beleive noone else has suggested...

William Shatner

About as likely as most of the other nominations, but it'd be a wild ride!

Being serious, I would like to see a well trained more mature actor to take the francise away from the twilight set. Someone who could do for Doctor Who, what Patrick Stewart did for the Captain of the Enterprise

66. Downside
    Thumb Up

I'm the F***ing Doctor

Peter Capaldi

67. TRT Silver badge

I'm backing...

The BOFH and PFY as his assistant. More devious and cunning ways to thwart the enemies of humanity and day-long lunch breaks have ne'er been devised.

68. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Alan Rickman

Would be amazing.

1. Michael Habel
      Facepalm

Re: Alan Rickman

If they have to go with any of the Pothead actors I really hope its him.

Are they really thinking of giving it to Rupert Grint (i.e. Ronald Weasley)?

...And they said that Doctor Who was a career killer...

69. RikSaunderson
    Childcatcher

The Doctor ... of whiff waff

You want The Doctor to be someone who is very intelligent but with a good degree of eccentiricity and a fairly odd look.

I vote Boris Johnson.

Failing that, Eddie Izzard, John McAffee or Milton Jones would all make fine choices.

1. Phil Standen
      WTF?

Re: The Doctor ... of whiff waff

Sun writes: BoJo is DoHo

70. David Robinson 1

Jack Davenport

and Sarah Alexander as the assistant.

71. Spoonsinger
    Big Brother

Chris Morris...

You'd know he'd be awesome.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Re: Chris Morris...

Nah - get him writing the scripts and give the job to Charlie Brooker :-)

72. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Back to Being Human.....

Aidan Turner or from Misfits - Robert Sheehan or Joseph Gilgun....

73. Jon Gibbins
    Megaphone

+1 for Phillip Glenister

... but only if he plays it in the style of the Gov from Life on Mars!

Anyone for a Garibaldi?

74. Maharg

Ving Rhames

I would love to see that transformation, imagine the look on the peoples faces…

75. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nathan Fillion

gets my vote.

76. Tempest8008
    WTF?

John Hurt is off the list!

At the end of Episode 13 of Season 7 - "The Name of the Doctor" they introduced John Hurt as the Doctor.

Doctor Who canon maintains there can only be 12 regenerations of a Time Lord, for a total of 13 lives (the 1st one being the one where he is born, not a regeneration).

So if what we are seeing is not some story skullduggery...John Hurt is the LAST doctor. The result of the final regeneration. Which leaves us one more Doctor to fit between Matt Smith and John Hurt.

That being said, we can conclude that John Hurt is NOT the next incarnation, so he's off the list.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: John Hurt is off the list!

Let's not forget the name of the Valeyard was also mentioned, as in an incarnation of the doctor. Perhaps that was John Hurt.....after all, he didn't use the name "The Doctor", using Valeyard which apparently means "learned court prosecutor".

Besides, the regeneration limit was easily circumvented by the Master - he'd finished his regenerations and looked like a turd wrapped in bandages for a couple of series (Deadly Assassin?).

2. Shane Lusby

The 12 regen limit was already implied as broken back in the old series. The Valeyard was 'between his 12th and final regeneration' which pretty much flat out says R>12 in this case, if not giving you any clue what so ever where his final regen will actually fall.

1. Tempest8008
        Facepalm

Yeah, I'm wondering if it was a societal rather than biological thing.

The Time Lords permitted the Master a new regeneration...and technically speaking the 2nd Doctor's regeneration was forced on him rather than being 'natural'.

Ah, let's face it. If they want him to continue, they'll find a way around the rules they invented.

77. Seanie Ryan
    Joke

i vote

David Tenant

failing that, Chris Eccleston.

78. Shane Lusby

A second for Rufus Sewell. It hadn't occurred to me until I saw him mentioned above but I do think he would do a brilliant job.

79. Charlie van Becelaere

Clearly it should be

John Barrowman, no?

80. VinceH

Optional

(Never has that word been more appropriate for the post title...)

I suggest some bloke on the internet. Occasionally posts on El Reg, and goes by the name of, er, VinceH.

81. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

+1 for First Female Doctor

I think this would make for an interesting development, and there are a few strong contenders depending on what sort of personality the 12th Doctor is to assume.

As already mentioned, Sue Perkins would make a good 'quirky' option. Helen Mirren would undoubtedly be fantastic under any circumstances, although I'm kind of torn between picturing her roles in Red and Arthur. Emma Thompson would also potentially be a good choice as a no-nonsense, matronly Doctor.

However, while all of the above would definitely be fine choices, part of me would quite like to see Gemma Arterton as The Doctor... preferably in the style of her role as Kelly Jones in St Trinians. A nice opportunity for some initial post-regeneration confusion about her memories and feelings towards Clara, maybe leading to a kiss... guess it's unlikely, but certainly something I can dream about! ;)

82. Radium

Gyles Brandreth

Would be rather spiffing

Or Ardal O'Hanlon

83. Christian Berger

Wait a minute, there was a female doctor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ONVjFZdeH00#t=446s

84. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Beppe Grillo

Why not Beppe Grillo, fomer standup comedian and now party leader, so that in Italy we can get rid of him for a while?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beppe_Grillo

He's even similar in aspect to 4th Doctor Tom Baker...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_Doctor

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Mips
      Childcatcher

Re: Beppe Grillo

You don't believe that it would get rid of him for even a short while, do you?

85. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rhys Ifans

Or

Suzy Perry for the female option.

86. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Some excellent off the wall ideas. Let me add my tuppence ha'penny worth ...

Rhys Ifans reprising his Twin Town role, or, for a female replacement, how about Suzy Perry, as she has some affinity for tech ?

87. spot

I don't see Sir Ian listed. It would leave the part in a "follow that" condition when he left. or if the children need scaring back behind the sofa where they belong there's Ray Winstone.

88. Z-Eden

Richard O'Brien

For that left field eccentric vibe?

89. EL Vark
    Holmes

Detective Sergeant Doctor

Hey, Laurence Fox, why not? I'd pay real money to watch a chain smoking Time Lord. Plus, obviously, Billie can give him the inside perspective, like where to hide in the TARDIS when he needs to nip out for a fag.

90. Grommet

Simon Pegg

Wasn't a fan but he did a good job as Scotty. I think with his comedic timing he would be perfect.

91. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Laurence Fox!

(title)

92. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Noel Fielding

You want weird/quirky - I reckon he's got that covered.

Failing that, he'd make a good sidekick if Richard Ayoade got the job ;-)

Also, Eddie Izzard.

93. cosymart
    Thumb Up

Captain Jack

John Barrowman

94. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Pint

Aidan Turner

From Being Human to being the Doctor... Not a huge jump. He has the look.

So gentlemen, with that being settled, it's pub o'clock.

95. GitMeMyShootinIrons
    Joke

Arnold Schwarzenegger

"I'll be back" sounds fitting for a Time Lord.

96. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Or... Or...

Or we could just let the series die a natural death.

How can we miss it, if it doesn't go away? Don't worry. Like Batman, Superman and Spiderman some one else will reboot it umpteen frakkin times.

97. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

tldr; Has anyone mentioned Robert Downey Jr. yet?

98. OzBob
    Thumb Up

Almost an Alien? Can't go past

Bill Bailey!

99. DocJD
    Angel

If the Doctor is going to be Female

They might as well go all the way and use Francine Dee.

100. OzBob
    Thumb Up

or from Reynholm industries

Matt Berry?

101. Sepalcrave

The new doctor should be Ruth Jones, thats Nessa from Gavin and Stacey. She has experience, acting ability and the presence needed.

102. Allan George Dyer
    Joke

The regeneration goes badly wrong...

and the Dr. becomes a female Dalek, constantly torn between compassion and hate.

103. DeliberatusFreeman
    WTF?

why not? Everything else alive has...

Hulk Hogan.

104. Cream_DJ

I thought about Ryan Cartwright, the lad from Brum who played Gary in Alphas, but as suggested in other posts, either Jonny Lee Miller or Richard Ayoade would be good ideas too!

105. Mips
    Childcatcher

Stephen Fry

Guaranteed to get it wrong.

Com'on you know you love him.

106. Mips
    Childcatcher

Being serious now: Ewan McGreggor

I don't think he would be interested and he is too good; but with his balance of humor and intensity, hell I should like to see him do it.

107. Ian 5
    Alien

Given that he thinks that he's saving the world & dog from itself...

St. Julian Assange. Weird, persecution complex, self aggrandisement, disappears for months on end, and nobody really likes.. Plus it'd get him out for a bit of one to one with Her Majesty's finest.

108. ShadowDragon8685

Alright, everybody, take a seat; I've got this.

If the Doctor remains male, my candidates would be (In order of preference):

* Craig Charles (The ultimate smeghead becomes the ultimate smeghead with a much cooler, yet still just-as-somehow-busted ride.)

* Sir Patrick Stewart, a man whose credentials as a science-fiction authority figure who specializes in diplomacy are indisputable.

* David Tennant. Yes, David Tennant. We still have Ten's half-human clone running about. If something Permanent were to befall the original Doctor, the halfie could regain full Time Lord biology using the Chameleon Arch, and bring Rose with him again. Could get interesting if they run into River again.

* Sir Christopher Lee, a man who is, quite frankly, the ultimate badass given his name and the fact that his life and ancestry are a gigantic heavy metal album. Could also get a new Sonic Screwdriver with the same rough shape as Count Dooku's lightsaber as a friendly reference. :)

* Richard Hammond. Any time I see David Tennant wearing anything but a suit that Ten would wear, I can't shake the feeling I'm looking at Richard Hammond anyway. :)

If we're getting a female Doctor... Again, in order of preference:

* Catherine Tate. Yes, Catherine Tate. Donna still has the DoctorDonna personality and memory matrix within her, just suppressed. Again, if something Permanent were to happen to the Doctor as we know him, it might happen within eyeshot of Mrs. Donna Temple-Noble, thus restoring her DoctorDonna memories and personality. And as for the "burn you up" problem, that's simple; she can use the Chameleon Arch to make herself biologically a Time Lord.

* Georgia Moffett. Yes, Georgia Moffett. Jenny is, notionally at least, still at loose in the universe. If something Permanent were to happen to the Doctor, the TARDIS might seek out his next-of-kin; his daughter Jenny. She might take up the mantle of the Doctor in place of dear old dad. Plus, that would make her the Doctor's Daughter who married the Doctor and had the Doctor's Daughter and then became the Doctor, which is just convoluted enough to work. (Not to mention it would make David Tennant the Doctor who married the Doctor's Daughter and sired the Doctor's Daughter whose spouse then became the Doctor.)

* Amanda Tapping. Basically, Dr. Helen Magnus IN SPACE AND TIME! That couldn't possibly be anything but hilarious!

* Sigourney Weaver. Why not? Her science fiction chops are indisputable, and Avatar proved she can technobabble with the best.

109. lardheppus
    Coat

While the Doctor is something of a British institution, in order to appeal to a broader audience, isn't it time for an American to play the role? With that in mind, may I nominate Danny DeVito. That's assuming he isn't busy playing the lead role in the American remake of "The Long Good Friday",

110. Martin Budden Silver badge

I don't care who the next doctor is, as long as we get to keep Jenna-Louise Coleman as the companion!

(and if we do get a female doctor, Jenna-Louise could use some of the acting experience she gained in Emmerdale... now that *would* be interesting)

1. ShadowDragon8685

The Impossible Girl?

Oh, I do indeed hope the Impossible Girl remains with the Doctor. Of course, technically speaking, she always will be there in some incarnation or another. Though, isn't it funny that she's usurped Donna's title as the Most Important Girl in the History of the Universe?

Odd, isn't it, that the Impossible Girl was on holiday that time, requiring some kind-of-ignorant office lass to be the impetus preventing the Doctor's permanent fate on that black day. Ah well, maybe the G.I. managed to neutralize her that time, but didn't count on the complete left-fielder of one Donna Noble.

111. Amberlodge

David Ian Hewlett

He can do serious and funny, deep and shallow, brilliant and clueless, hardass and sensitive -- all at the proper time, of course. He;s the different type of Doctor I'd want to see.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon