back to article New York cop in alleged love-polyhedron email hack spree

A New York detective allegedly hired hackers to spy on 19 fellow cops and at least 11 others - apparently in a bid to discover if any of them were sleeping with his ex. Edwin Vargas, a 42-year-old Bronx investigator, is accused of spending $4,050 on an email-hacking service to obtain the usernames and passwords for 43 message …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Radium
    Paris Hilton

Didn't occur to him to simply put a watch on his ex?

2. Thomas 4

Mrr

This chap sounds more than a little obsessive. I hope the police are keeping watch on his ex-wife in case he tries anything.

...and I've just realised how absurd that statement is, given the context. -.-

3. Simon Harris
    Coat

"Edwin Vargas, a 42-year-old Bronx investigator"

Not so much a Bronx investigator...

... as a Bonks investigator.

I'll be the one wearing Columbo's shabby raincoat.

4. Dan Paul
    Devil

WOW, Jealousy reigns supreme

Eddy,

There is a secret to life you just have got to learn before it's too late.

No woman will ever be worth the kind of trouble you got yourself into, no matter how good the sex was.

Once you became exe's, that should have been the end of it regardless of any offspring. Give it up and move away if you have to, but just forget about it and get on as best you can. They are not worth your life.

1. Franklin

Re: WOW, Jealousy reigns supreme

"Once you became exe's, that should have been the end of it regardless of any offspring. Give it up and move away if you have to, but just forget about it and get on as best you can. They are not worth your life."

I dunno, I'm still close friends with many of my exes.

5. ecofeco Silver badge
    FAIL

New York Cops

"I AM the law!" - Judge Dread Syndrome

The more I know about NYC as I get older, the less I EVER want to go there.

6. Pen-y-gors
    Holmes

See icon

"..the Contacts section of his Gmail account included a list of at least 20 e-mail addresses, along with what appear to be telephone numbers, home addresses, and vehicle information corresponding to those e-mail addresses,"

Good Lord - what kind of sick, crazy, criminal psycho would keep contact details in the contacts section of his Gmail account? I bet there's even evidence on his computer that he - gasp! - LOOKED AT WEBSITES!

(I better rush off now and wipe everything from my Contacts in case the FBI are watching me....)

1. Franklin

Re: See icon

Do you keep other people's email passwords in your Contact lists?

7. Stevie

Hang on

Why aren't the same penalties waved in front of a certain now deceased MIT hacker being threatened?

1. kain preacher

Re: Hang on

Because this a state not the feds. If the feds do go after him they charged him civil rights violations and illegal wire tap.

8. JLV
    Black Helicopters

Worryingly cheap.

If I read this correctly, it cost this guy $4K to get the passwords to 20 email accounts. Furthermore, I assume these mailboxes were hosted on random email providers, not just one flawed NYPD email service.

Think gmail, hotmail, yahoo, etc...

Does it mean our email privacy is so badly protected in practice that cracking it is only worth $200 if you find the appropriate Joe Random Hacker to work for you? Chilling.

More at:

http://www.informationweek.com/security/attacks/fbi-arrests-nypd-detective-on-hacking-ch/240155332

1. Allan George Dyer
      Holmes

Re: Worryingly cheap.

Sound expensive to me...

One approach would be to try the first few entries from a most popular password list, it wouldn't be successful every time, but does that matter? Another would be to trick the victim into installing a keylogger - also depends on the victim not having good security awareness.

Really, unless you are using end-to-end encryption, email is no more secure than writing your message on a postcard. So, yes, email privacy is an oxymoron.

9. Andrew Jones 2

Way too Liberal use of the word "Alleged" - if the evidence is on his computer and he has had to pay bail - I think you can probably drop (or at least go a bit easier) on the word "alleged"

1. kain preacher

Alleged

they use alleged in case the gets off. If the did not and he got off he could sue. It happened in the Olympic park bombings.

1. Andrew Jones 2

Re: Alleged

We need to invent a second word that means the same thing then - then at least every other word would not have to be alleged....

10. some dude
    Pirate

Makes me think.

How would someone get this sort of work? I doubt this idiot cop was browsing the electronics section of Silk Road, where they advertise this stuff. How did he recruit them?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well was she? ..........Oh sorry.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The suppliers of the info

What happens to the company that supplied the info? equally guilty, if not more so.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like